how do i know the motor is getting coolant?

i've seen many threads about headers getting red hot, mine does the same. within a minute to two minutes it glowing and the radiator and hoses are really hot to touch. i know the glowing is normal to a certain degree, but i think this is too much. its a 2001 yz426. please keep it simple, don't know much about these things.

If the top of the radiators get hot, and warm air blows through the srouds as you ride, it's circulating.

If you leave your bike running on the stand or just not moving at all, a four stroke header is going to glow. I would try to limit this as much as possible.

while the bike is cold, crank it and take off the radiator cap. You will see the antifreeze moving across the opening. Just do this for a few seconds. Don't do it while it is hot. Make sure you put the cap back on.

i've seen many threads about headers getting red hot, mine does the same. within a minute to two minutes it glowing and the radiator and hoses are really hot to touch. i know the glowing is normal to a certain degree, but i think this is too much. its a 2001 yz426. please keep it simple, don't know much about these things.

read your manual. it says not to let bike sit and run for more then several mins cause it will over heat. high comp, aggresive cam, with retarted ignition timing when idling doesnt mate well just idling. a engine like YZF's have would need a fan for the radiators to keep the bike from over heating just from sitting and idling .

ok, i'll try that. thanks a lot.

How about knowing when its too hot? I was riding a really slow/muddy single track the other week and it kept gassing out coolant, which is normal, but there has to be a limit some where between losing too much coolant and getting too hot.

I have since installed an over flow tank, but I still get worried. there is no room what so ever in the budget for a rebuild. maybe a mechanical temp gauge?

How about knowing when its too hot? I was riding a really slow/muddy single track the other week and it kept gassing out coolant, which is normal, but there has to be a limit some where between losing too much coolant and getting too hot.

I have since installed an over flow tank, but I still get worried. there is no room what so ever in the budget for a rebuild. maybe a mechanical temp gauge?

Pro circuit makes stick on temperature strips that you can stick to your rads and cylinder to keep an eye on engine temps. I think they are pretty inexpensive too.

Pro circuit makes stick on temperature strips that you can stick to your rads and cylinder to keep an eye on engine temps. I think they are pretty inexpensive too.

They're a great idea. But a little hard to check while rolling down the trail :thumbsup: