HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
toooldforthis

WR400 not starting after top end rebuild - Thoughts?

2 posts in this topic

Took time and performed a top end rebuild plus rings on my '98 WR400. Followed the service manual certainly whenit came to timing. I am getting good spark but just not getting fuel. Cleaned all jets and made sure float was not stuck. Tried push starting and would get some sign of life only when I (never supposed to) pumped the throttle but would just bog out and kill. I double checked all vacuum lines and fuel lines, etc.

A buddy is coming over to pull me behind his KTM and see if we can coax it intio starting. I think there is something wrong that I am overlooking.

Any thoughts are hugely appreciated.

Took time and performed a top end rebuild plus rings on my '98 WR400. Followed the service manual certainly whenit came to timing. I am getting good spark but just not getting fuel. Cleaned all jets and made sure float was not stuck. Tried push starting and would get some sign of life only when I (never supposed to) pumped the throttle but would just bog out and kill. I double checked all vacuum lines and fuel lines, etc.

A buddy is coming over to pull me behind his KTM and see if we can coax it intio starting. I think there is something wrong that I am overlooking.

Any thoughts are hugely appreciated.

If the bike is starting when you twist the throttle then the accelerator pump is working, you're getting fuel to the carb, and you're getting spark.

Here's what I'd check:

1) Where's the idle stop screw set? If it's all the way backed off then the bike's not getting enough air at idle

2) Where's the idle mixture screw set? It should be backed out something like 2.5 turns to start with. If it's all the way in you're not getting any fuel from the idle circuit

3) Is your idle jet is clogged or too small?

good luck