Crankcase Breather Position

I've searched on ways people route the crankcase breather tube and didn't see anyone that just extended the tube up the frame so it is above the cover by about 6 to 8 inches? The gases can exit and the oil is retained in the case. Is there any reason why that would be a bad idea? Just curious. Thanks for your time.

above what cover?

Above the cam cover. Straight up instead of to the air box or with the tee that everyone uses.

well i dont know about the 450's but on the 426's the tank and/or the upper motor mount would get in the way of it going 6-8 inches straight up. however if you were able to snake it through everything you run the risk of the hose kinking and then you will have a big mess from the valve cover gasket blowing out.

This is on a 400. I've got a spot that I can go up the frame next to another tube that is right next to the breather tube. No kinks, one slight bend.

I say try it and let us know if it makes a mess under there.

let us know if it makes a mess under there.

I guarantee it.

So it needs the other line routed to the air box or down to equalize? Won't it still puke oil out with the tee in place? Can you restrict the oil lost in any way?

The problem with running it straight up is that, a) the run of hose is way too short to retain any oil that might enter the outgoing air stream, and :) all the crud from under the tank will be sucked straight down that short little tube every time the piston moves up.

The ultimate solution is a Super Moto style catch can/recovery system like the one from Graves.

Everything else about this subject has been discussed ad nauseum infinitum.

Everything else about this subject has been discussed ad nauseum infinitum.

Lol...since when has that stopped us?

I put one of these on the end of my breather tube

Breather.jpg

...and then zipty it to the inside of the frame right above the front sprocket

breatherRoute.jpg

It's not the most trick thing you can do but it is quick, easy, and the filter is easy to access and clean.

Where did you get that?

Where did you get that?

I got the same thing at Shucks. I think any parts store will have them.