One more queston on the grey wire

The wire you are looking for is all grey without any other color, it should be just under the tank behind the CDI unit. The grey wire actually comes from the unit and is the only one in the electrical system. It will be among a group of wires (6 I believe) and can accessed via the conncector under the tank. hope this helps

From the picture you posted, is it the middle grey wire below the blue one? Everyone mentions cutting the greywire, can't you just pull it from the connector. And like the guy before me, why is it on the bike and what does it do before and after the cut?

Jim,

Took a good look at your 03' WR450 pic and I have some questions for mods on my own 03' WR450. They are: 1.) What is the function of the wiring running down to the bottom of the license plate, is that a Baja Designs plate frame ? 2.) what is the function of the white plastic brace on the front fender, does it prevent fender bag scratches, who makes it ? and 3.) where did you get that nifty map case for the front number plate, and who embossed your race numbers on that bag ? Good looking bike Jim. Love my WR450 too.

HighPlains WR

The wires to the license plate go to 2 Litn bolts. They are license plate bolts that have a small replaceable bulb in them. Since the stock tailight doesn't have a plate light and there wasn't really much room for a standard type thats what I went with. The plate holder is a Baja unit that I cut it down to the vertical width of our Michigan license plate. I had it that way on my 426 and never got any hassle. The 450 is hard to do a real nice light/plate set up. I am looking for other ways. The number plate bag is called a glove box. Again I had one on the 426 and it was very handy. I think it came from Baja or A H Machlaughin (sp). The numbers are regular side plate #'s. You can put a clear over them it you want more protection. The front fender item is a fender brace. I don't use it for that specifically. I fill up a small camera bag with tools, and lay it on the brace and slide the bag way back up against the bottom of the number plate. Then I put 2 cheap nylon dog collars under the fender brace, and burn new holes in them so the collars hold the tool bag in place tightly. Then I cut off the ends of the collars and burn them so they don't fray.

Georgia. The WR450 now has a 40 pilot, 155 main, 1 3/8 out on fuel screw and the needle clip in the 3rd position. The pilot is still a bit lean so I'm going up one on that spec. I operate at 6,000-10,000 feet so a whole bunch of compromise was needed on the settings. I get a little stumble just off idle (6,000 ft), but when I ride the high country this summer the pilot should richen up. By the way, I replaced the woodruff key, and used lock-tite on a new shaft nut and torqued to 47 pounds - just in case.

Jim. Way cool. I'm going to plagiarize your map holder, I spend too much time fishing in my backpack for directions. I bolted the plate to the WR450 fender using a 98' KLR250 plate mount bracket. Simple, yes, Crude, maybe. But in remote Colorado, a plate mounted on your keister will pass most county inspections. Thanks for the info on your bike. Ride on, brother.

What is wrong with my wiring?

After seeing that pic of the grey wire in that grey connector, I checked mine out. (I know, all this time and I just now got around to it... ?)

Mine, a '99WR, is different. If I follow the wire bundle coming out of the CDI box, it quickly splits into 3 separate bundles with connectors. Here is what I see:

The grey 6-wire connector (the one shown in that pic) has: Orange, Black, Light Blue, Dark Blue, even Darker Blue w/black tracer, and Yellow.

The black 6-wire connector has: Light Green, White, Red, Brown, Pink, Dark Grey (very dark, thought it was kinda faded purple or black at first, maybe it is)

The black 2-wire connector has: Black w/white tracer, and a definite, plain-old GREY ! :D

I cleaned them with a shot of carb cleaner to be sure, and that's what I have..???? Is it possible or likely that my grey wire is not in either 6-wire bundle, but alone with that black/white wire?

I truly don't know what, if anything, to disconnect. I always thought this would be the easiest free mod.

Any ideas? :D