08 YZ450 Factory Connection

Well the stock setup wasn't bottoming out. They increased the spring rate just a bit. 5.5 to 5.6. I weigh in at 185. After getting it back I notice I bottom out on all the larger jumps that I had no problems with before the revalve. If I just bottomed out, I'd be okay. I'm slamming down hard. I was hopiong that setting the sag a little stiffer, 100-104, that the spring could help the bottoming. Then I could add some compression. The track I ride is real hardpacked, with rocks and breaking bumps. The track only gets prepped once every three months, so there spots of the track that are missing what looks like puzzle pieces. So I try toi set the compression as soft as possible. This was all talked about when I sent off my suspension.

...I was hopiong that setting the sag a little stiffer, 100-104, that the spring could help the bottoming.
It's a misconception to say that decreasing the sag by tightening down on the spring makes it "stiffer". Stiffness is affected only by changing the spring rate. Unless you run the spring down to the point where there is no sag when you sit on the bike, all you are doing by setting the sag is adjusting the position of the suspension in a normal, level ground loaded condition. The relative stiffness or softness is unchanged.

I had my suspension done by Factory Connection several months back. I had it revalved and they went up on springs 1 size. I wish I would have left the $750 in my wallet and ran it stock. I sent it off hoping that it would help on braking bumps and accelaration bumps. That is now the worse part. I have been all over the map with the compression and rebound. I even sent the forks back to them so they could change some stuff. STill no better. I do have to say their very friendly and customer support is good. But I will have to go a different direction on the 2010.

i got mine done by, suspension by jake, and couldnt be happier, the price was the best part, i paid 370 for revalve, springs, rebuild, and some other little FC goodies etc.. ill be taking my future bikes to him .. and i had my stuff back in 2 days then went riding:banana:

I sent (my supension) off hoping that it would help on braking bumps and accelaration bumps. That is now the worse part. I have been all over the map with the compression and rebound. I even sent the forks back to them so they could change some stuff. STill no better.

I did mine myself, using parts, info, and oil from Dave Johnson at Smart Perfomance. I have to say it's amazing over braking/accel bumps, and accelerating over deep whoops. The fork is absolutely elegant hitting the big stuff, and the faster you go, the better it works.

But the real cure for the whoops was the rear shock. The only mod was Dave's 215.VM2.K5 oil and a revised rebound stack. The back end stays in the back, stays down, and is a huge improvement.

If you are thinking of doing something different next time out, give Dav a call.

would there be any reason I should stay with the factory connection recommended 110mm of sag? Do differnet bikes, (honda, yamaha, suzuki) have a general sag setup that works best for their design. For example. I know yamaha guys seem to like 95-105. Would it be different if we were talking about honda's? I only ask because it seems that Factory connection specializes in Honnda's, so maybe their recommendations are based on honda setups.

Or, is it what ever feels comfortable to me a the rider. as far as how the bike turns? etc.

or do they recommend a specific sag based on a specific rider setup, shock preload. weight, etc?

I have no way of knowing what motivates FC to recommend any certain sag setting. I do know that a YZ450 will push less at 95 than at 110. To me, it seems that with reasonable limits, sag has more of an effect on steering than on rear suspension operation.

It's funny that you say 95. I bumped mine down to 97 and it turns even betts. I think I am getting close to the limit on the free sa though. The more and more I read your comments about Dave's suspension makes me want to try him next time.