03 yz450.. Whats going on!!!

Ok, im sitting at home, and im about to go to work... Got a phone call from my uncle, He says, that the pipe is getting ULTRA red.. pretty far up on the pipe, I told him that ive read it is normal for 4strokes to get hot like that while sitting and running.. And its backfiring.. he says through the carb and pipe? A friend of his who works on bikes came over and said that its a timing problem that the valves are staying open for too long.. I know nothing about it so i dont know...

Also while messing with the carb and stuff and new spark plug, the fuel cross over hose touched the pipe the other day scared the crap out of us.. so he put a hose he had that was the same size but for a car just temporaraly on there while he looked at the bike.. and during the phone call he said the pipe got hot enough to melt it without even touching it.. Ive done searches just not coming up with much...

Check your exhaust where it bolts to the head to ensure it is tight and also make sure it's tight where the header meets the muffler. Check the boots before and after your carb. It sounds like an air leak making it run lean.

The red exhaust is normal if the bike is allowed to idle longer than 30-45 seconds. It has to do with the retarded ignition timing at idle, and the aggressive cam timing.

Backfire from the exhaust on decel is also normal if it's moderate. If it's excessive, you may have the hot start plunger stuck open, an air leak in the exhaust, or the pilot circuit is adjusted too lean.

Thanks for your time, all of you... Ive done Forum searches, and googled this but i cant find anything on Backfiring through the carburetor, has anyone ever heard of this? I told him ive not found anyone with that problem.. but he insists' it is doing so..

Yes, and it's usually either a tight valve or an ignition problem.

It's hard enough troubleshooting stuff long distance as it is, but now you are asking us to evaluate info that you're getting second hand. Oy.

Sorry Grayracer, I was just wondering about carb problems because i couldnt find any info on carb backfire. But turns out to have been tight valves ? The guy also did some stuff to the carb.. they said the bike is running amazingly strong, better than when i first got it last May. He said the pipe isnt getting as hot at idle, and backfire is gone except a very small amount every so often at decel... thanks so much guy, ill keep you update.. TT is the best forum i think ive ever been on, on any subject, people really know their stuff and care about bikes. thanks again.