WR450 Starting issue

Hello all, first post here so please be gentle!! Forum looks brill - look forward to learning a lot :)

I have a 2005 WR450 which ive not had long and it usually fires up no problem. Come to it today having not ridden it in about 4 months and it wont start. Had the plug out and changed it (seems to be sparking well) and the fuel is getting thro (plug was wet) but it still wont start. Tried it with and without choke, with and without the hot start lever pulled and jumped it from a larger 12v batt to save my leg but still nothing.

As if by fluke, my mate who also has the same bike (albeit a 2007 version) had the same symptoms last week (still not resolved). Any ideas????? Cos im :banghead: :banghead:

Please help!

Hello all, first post here so please be gentle!! Forum looks brill - look forward to learning a lot :)

I have a 2005 WR450 which ive not had long and it usually fires up no problem. Come to it today having not ridden it in about 4 months and it wont start. Had the plug out and changed it (seems to be sparking well) and the fuel is getting thro (plug was wet) but it still wont start. Tried it with and without choke, with and without the hot start lever pulled and jumped it from a larger 12v batt to save my leg but still nothing.

As if by fluke, my mate who also has the same bike (albeit a 2007 version) had the same symptoms last week (still not resolved). Any ideas????? Cos im :banghead: :banghead:

Please help!

Four months without starting it?

- old gas: not combusting correctly

- varnished gas clogging the pilot jet

- don't jump start with running car, as puts out too much current

You guys have had some cold weather. What tempterature are you trying to start the bike in?

My 03 does not like to start when it is less than 5c. I put a small air heater on the engine block for 15 minutes and it fires up right away.

Hi guys thanks for your help, it was indeed the pilot jet that was at fault, stripped it out and cleaned it reassembled and presto! Thanks so much - now i can get it dirty and have some fun!!!!