HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FMX Freak

Figuring out what the best exhaust for 08 YZ450F would be?

12 posts in this topic

I have recently purchased the 2008 YZ450F in September in 2008. I was told to break the bike in with the stock exhaust. I am now seeing the lag the short pipe that yamaha put on this bike. What is the best for the money deal on an after market exhaust and how much more power will it give me? Also how much would I have to change on the jetting with the new exhaust?

do I have to change any stock jetting to install and run?

the two strokes i had to re jet the four strokes i havent.

when you replace the pipe replace the spark plug as well.after a couple of hours or even sooner pull the plug and see how its burning.

if it is leaning out you might be able to just raise your main jet needle.

the best pipe is the most quiet . you can't use the power a 450 puts out so do all the rest of us a favor and get a quiet pipe .

most pipes i believe make ama requirements and the ama has lowered it to about 93db i believe

Best bang for your buck I believe is a stock exhaust off of a 2006 or 2007 YZ450F, you could probably get one for $50. You really should ask this in the YZ250F forum though.

Best bang for your buck I believe is a stock exhaust off of a 2006 or 2007 YZ450F, you could probably get one for $50. You really should ask this in the YZ250F forum though.

I owned an '06 so I tested with that pipe on my new '08 and liked it. I rode with a borrowed Dr. D and decided there was almost no difference in the '06 pipe and certainly not enough to justify buying one. I still needed to buy a pipe for the '08 so I could sell my old '06 450. I found a great deal on Ebay and bought a 2007 pipe instead since it had to be even better than the 2006 right? Not! I wouldn't even sell the '06 with the new '07 pipe it was so bad. I bought another used '06 pipe for the '08 and have no complaints.

At any rate, don't bother with the '07 pipe. It may be better than stock but it's still not all that good.

--KT--