CR500 vs 450 HP

About a year ago, MXA did a comparison test between a CR 500 and a CRF 450. As I recall, the 500 had a 6-8 hp advantage, and was the faster of the two in a drag race. The 450 however, was much easier to ride.

About a year ago, MXA did a comparison test between a CR 500 and a CRF 450. As I recall, the 500 had a 6-8 hp advantage, and was the faster of the two in a drag race. The 450 however, was much easier to ride.

and faster anywhere alse!!!!

those big bore 2 strokes are pure fun faster or not :)

I saw this post today http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=756582

I thought the 500s put out mid 60s HP. The dyno chart has it at high 50s If that is the case 450s are not very far off

First, it depends on what year CR500 you talk about. Some of the first ones out were ridiculously powerful, but even more a handful than the '95 shown here.

Second, this engine is totally stock, and 59 hp is 7 more than the best stock '08 produces, and nearly 10 more than a good '06. That's a very big difference, and in the real world, it's very hard to build a YZ450 to that kind of output.

The stock KX500's were stronger than the mid 90's CR's were, but with relatively few mods, the right pipe, and jetting, the CR's will put out lots more. I had a '94 that put up over 66.

But even at less than equal power, the thumpers are so much more manageable and controllable, and have such superior traction, that they usually dominate in the dirt anyway.

I remember that in mxa mag. they put a 95 cr500 in a newer crf250 frame and compared them to the 450's. riders would do laps on the 450's , then have a go at the 500's. after a little while on the track the guy's said that they could get use to the power and feel. They did like in the newer frame too. By the end the lap times were about the same.

For the most part....a rider can only go as fast as he can go, bike is hardly every the limiting factor.

I think twostrokemotocross.com has an article between the service 500 and 450 up that mxa did, I don't recall exactly, but either identical lap times or a slight nod to the 500 in modern form.

They aren't even struggling to hit 58-59 hp....some hill shooters made are SCARY powerful!

My '85 CR500 was the worst, like a light switch, I added flywheel weights, extra base gaskets, and different pipes to tame it down. Eventually took it to the drag strip with the highest gearing and street tires, went 12.98@101mph and wheelied 3-4 times each run and ran out of rpm at 3/4 track, with a terrible tank slapper on decel. here's the only picture I have. Mike

oldmx011.jpg

and faster anywhere alse!!!!

those big bore 2 strokes are pure fun faster or not :)

Yes they were! I really miss them!