Building a tailgate ramp

Has anyone done it out of simple wood & metal? I cant weld so building a sweet one is out of the question. What did you guys do? I was thinking of just getting a 2x6 and finding some metal and bending it in a vice, drilling three holes and taping them into the 2x6? what gauge metal would you recommend?

You can buy end pieces that bolt on to a 2x6 just like you are saying, they arent expensive they just have a slight bend on them to sits flush on the tailgate when the ramp is on the ground.

here is what i made with some scrap metal and a sheet metal brake at work metal is 3/16" thick and 8" long

SNC00048.jpg

SNC00049.jpg

SNC00050.jpg

im gonna get some shingles and nail em to the board to have some grip so my bike and feet dont slide on the boards

I've used a 2x12 with a homemade 'lip' like the ones posted above for years. It works great, its cheap and no one wants to steal it.

I like the width of the 2x12, and I had one lying around after I built my house so the price was right.

My truck is pretty tall so I cut it to 10 ft. long in order to make the loading angle, less vertical. It sticks out quite a ways, so I clamp a red flag/rag to it. The extra length has the unintended benefit of warding off tailgaters:smirk: .

Harbor Freight has a nice bi fold aluminum ramp on sale this weekend. I picked one up for $59. Its the ladder style perfect for the price.

They had some good deals. I picked up one of there Aluminum Dirt Bike center stands for $29. The Dirt Bike shop wanted $69 for a similiar one with a fancy name on it.?

2x4 without a sissy bracket on the end!!!

Just got to be careful when unloading it that the ramp doesn't come off the gate when the rear tire hits it. It's always better to have 2 people doing it! One to stand below to catch it and stand there with their foot on the end of the ramp to keep it in place!

I dont think I will be able to do that.... Ill stick with my wood and sissy metal bracket!

? Actually I could have used one of those one time when I was unloading by myself...the rear tire hit the board and knocked it off the tail gate. I wasn't able to catch it in time so the rear end dropped onto the gate putting a dent in the expansion chamber...yeah that was back when the pipes were down under! :banghead:

? Actually I could have used one of those one time when I was unloading by myself...the rear tire hit the board and knocked it off the tail gate. I wasn't able to catch it in time so the rear end dropped onto the gate putting a dent in the expansion chamber...yeah that was back when the pipes were down under! :banghead:

i've had that happen alot thats why i made those brackets. ill dig the end in the ground so it dont slide back when unloading.