HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
123ewq

Who is the best 2 stroke port and polish-er????

39 posts in this topic

I was just wandering who was the best port and polishing company and why? How much does it cost?

I am especially interested in Eric Gorr, I've heard many good review, but also some bad. Where do you think i should take my '03 rm125 to get this done??

-Zach

FYI...the best tuners DON'T polish ports. Polishing is nothing but eye candy, and is completely meaningless for performance.

Unfortunately, our choices are dwindling. Eric Gorr, Pro Circuit , FMF , Max Power...there aren't many left. Boyesen used to do porting and was very highly recommended but I believe they stopped.

thanks,

So there is no point in polishing?

Can i send it off to one of these guys and take a little bit off the price by telling them not to polish?

Thanks

you actually need the ports a scosh rough to help atomize the fuel mixture.

porting is a black and mysterious science for sure........

tim

Takes no skill to polish, you bought into the hype. They won't discount cause its not polished. What are you trying to get ported and why?

FYI...the best tuners DON'T polish ports. Polishing is nothing but eye candy, and is completely meaningless for performance.

Unfortunately, our choices are dwindling. Eric Gorr, Pro Circuit , FMF , Max Power...there aren't many left. Boyesen used to do porting and was very highly recommended but I believe they stopped.

Boyesens motor man was Fred Vertuchie. Google VPE.

www.BarrsCompetition.net has been building fast 2 strokes for 35 years.....including 1 125 SX championship and countless Damon Bradshaw victories.

i emailed jbone a while back and he said hes focusing on the cr's right now :) He was my first choice but doesn't do rm's.

Anybody know how much www.BarrsCompetition.net cost for a port and polish?

Thanks for the responses

lots of postive reviews on jbone for 2 stroke performance

www.jbonemotorworks.com

I believe this is who Moto814 is recommending right now as well, since he's not doing engine work at the moment. If he still was, Steve would've been a great and affordable choice.

thanks for all of the responses,

I would definitely go for moto814 but he stopped.

www.williamsmotowerx.net looks good but might be a little pricey for me. i will have to further look into jbone.

i really like pr racing engines, its a small shop out of toledo ohio, but they have many many many national titles great work, they will set you up with a great engine

www.BarrsCompetition.net has been building fast 2 strokes for 35 years.....including 1 125 SX championship and countless Damon Bradshaw victories.

Is that true? I've been going to Fred for years and never knew that. Not doubting you, just had no idea. I do know that he ported out my buddy's 08 250 XC and that thing rips now. It was a major turd when he bought it, then Fred did a little port work to it and it would just barely outpull my piped 06 YZ250 in a straight line. Then he got some more aggressive porting done and we haven't found a 450 that can touch him yet. I will say I am very impressed by his work.

1 person likes this

Is that true? I've been going to Fred for years and never knew that. Not doubting you, just had no idea. I do know that he ported out my buddy's 08 250 XC and that thing rips now. It was a major turd when he bought it, then Fred did a little port work to it and it would just barely outpull my piped 06 YZ250 in a straight line. Then he got some more aggressive porting done and we haven't found a 450 that can touch him yet. I will say I am very impressed by his work.

No its a lie! :) Just kidding.

Fred ran VPE in Florida into the 90's........I guess Ivan made him an offer he could not refuse and Fred closed his shop and moved to PA. Years later when Fred left he reopened VPE in the same area of PA.

Fred Vertucci is a great guy and builds excellent engines. My Boyesen also had Wes Gilbert doing the porting through Boyesen Precision Porting for many years. From what I've heard, Wes has retired. I wouldn't hesitate to go with either of those guys.

There will come a day when I do porting again. Just not right now.

-Steve