Please help me choose! 09 KX or YZ!

Deciding tomorrow and it looks like its definitely going to be either the YZ or KX 09 model. I so far am leaning towards the kx, but if someone can convince me to go with the YZ then i'm all ears. By the way, i know this has been discussed before but time has passed since then and i'm hoping more people on here have had a chance to ride and compare both. Thanks in advance everyone, i'm listenin...

Yeah im talking 450s. I know the YZ power is down in stock trim but that can easily be fixed with an exhaust. So with that considered, does that put the YZ back on the same level as the KXF? Also, my main concern is handling/cornering, does anyone know which would handle better for motocross (that is all i ride), especially the tighter tracks.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on my 1st 4stroke after many many many years of 2 stroke riding, and found myself with the same dilemma, I couldn't choose between the 2, I did as much reading and researching as I could, and for me the YZF is going to be the better bike, all I do mainly is ride and race hare scrambles,and they say the KXF isn't the best bike in the woods, plus I found a really great deal on a leftover 08 yzf450 for $4700 OTD now I'll have extra money to get it set up

the yz has better suspension and a mellower powerband which = faster, longer. If you are agood fast rider the kaw has monster power , great fi. your call

As i said, the main concern is the handling/cornering. I am also worried the KXF will be a pig in the tight stuff, but if it corners just as good as the YZ in mx, then im sold on the kawi. Can anyone comment on the cornering for both?

I had an 06 KXF and I don't think the handling has changed much, if anything it's better. I now have an 08 YZ450f. My personal feeling is that I like the suspension on the YZ over the KX, but I liked the turning and motor better on the Kawi. But, both are very close. If I was making the same choice again, I would go YZ because you can fix the motor and turning. To fix the suspension costs too much. That's me though, someone else may choose differently because of their personal riding style. Both bikes are that close.

It would really come down to you, what you've ridden, and personal preference. It sounds like you are looking for someone to tell you one is far and away better than the other and that's just not the case. All of the 450's are good, if I was in the market for an 09 I would buy from where you can get the best dealer support. All of them are a tossup unless you're a Pro. The differences are small and nothing that can't be adapted to suit you better.

Am I missing something or has everyone missed the obvious differences between the two bikes. The KX is fuel fuel injected and the YZ is still carbuerated. You might consider that also when making your decision. I personally have not ridden either of the '09's but have a friend who's son rides a KX at the local pro level and his only complaint was having to retrain himself on how to work on it. Lots of new things to consider with FI.

As i said, the main concern is the handling/cornering. I am also worried the KXF will be a pig in the tight stuff, but if it corners just as good as the YZ in mx, then im sold on the kawi. Can anyone comment on the cornering for both?

I have friends that have both and they both are good bikes. The kawi is def a heavier bike and doesnt handle quite as well as the yzf. keep this is mind , its hard to make a bike handle better then to make more power. The yzf handles very nice and is very light for a 450cc bike.

I just got a yz 09 two weeks ago. I am a 40+ rider and its the best out the box bike I have ridden. As far as the power band goes its great it seems like they hit as hard as the 03s did. Fact where I live in NC seen a local pro paced a up and comming honda rider on a factory bike. The guy was ridding a 450 yz out the box. For what comes through the shop I visit you see less yz a part than others considering it looks like a blue ocean on race day.

Thanks for all the help guys! I decided KXF, i dont think i can go wrong with it. The 09 YZF im sure would have been just as good, but the KXF to me seems more exciting this year. It was a hard decision because i consider myself a yamaha guy, I can't wait to see what blue does for 2010 though, i may be back, just not this year.

I just got a yz 09 two weeks ago. I am a 40+ rider and its the best out the box bike I have ridden. As far as the power band goes its great it seems like they hit as hard as the 03s did. Fact where I live in NC seen a local pro paced a up and comming honda rider on a factory bike. The guy was ridding a 450 yz out the box. For what comes through the shop I visit you see less yz a part than others considering it looks like a blue ocean on race day.

I raced an 2003 yz450f and a 2004. The power curve and delivery is completely different on the 2009 compared to the 2003. My buddy has a 2009 yz450f and it is very smooth compared to the 2003

i would definately go yamaha, the kawi is heavier and wont turn as good as the yamaha, plus the yamahas motor is strong and reliable. i would never get a 1st year bike with any major change especially FI, because there will always be some bugs to sort out...

i would definately go yamaha, the kawi is heavier and wont turn as good as the yamaha, plus the yamahas motor is strong and reliable. i would never get a 1st year bike with any major change especially FI, because there will always be some bugs to sort out...

Don't believe everything you read in the magazines. There is nothing wrong with Kawi handling. In 06, every magazine trashed the kawi for the 4 speed gearbox. My buddies had 06 YZ's and CRF's, every one of us like the 4 speed on my Kawi better.

I'm on an 08 YZ now and love it. But, there are still things about that kawi I like better than my YZ. You can't believe 90% of the crap they write in those magazine tests. These new bikes are so close that it doesn't really matter, pick a color and go.

Don't believe everything you read in the magazines. There is nothing wrong with Kawi handling. In 06, every magazine trashed the kawi for the 4 speed gearbox. My buddies had 06 YZ's and CRF's, every one of us like the 4 speed on my Kawi better.

I'm on an 08 YZ now and love it. But, there are still things about that kawi I like better than my YZ. You can't believe 90% of the crap they write in those magazine tests. These new bikes are so close that it doesn't really matter, pick a color and go.

i dont even read magazines so im not believing them lol. a local rider at my track owns an 04 yz250f and he bought an 06 kx450f then sold it a couple of months later, he could ride faster and more comfortably on his old 04 yz

i dont even read magazines so im not believing them lol. a local rider at my track owns an 04 yz250f and he bought an 06 kx450f then sold it a couple of months later, he could ride faster and more comfortably on his old 04 yz

All the 450's feel like heavy pigs compared to any 250f. That's not exactly a fair comparison.

I've got the 08 YZ now and had the 06 KXF before. Both of them do some things better than the other. Unless you're a Pro, you'll be able to ride either one just as fast as the other. There's not that much difference between them.

All the 450's feel like heavy pigs compared to any 250f. That's not exactly a fair comparison.

I've got the 08 YZ now and had the 06 KXF before. Both of them do some things better than the other. Unless you're a Pro, you'll be able to ride either one just as fast as the other. There's not that much difference between them.

good point, but if there is not much difference who will not go with the proven and more relaibale engine? ?