Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PARKER520

New 08 WR450F

29 posts in this topic

First of all hello, this is my first post/ day here so take it easy on me.

So I just picked up an 08 WR450 F today after selling my Raptor 660. Let me just say ***?!?! The only reason I got the WR instead of the YZ is because I live in California and I want to be able ride year round. I thought.... hey it's a 450 it should have plenty of power. Pfft, this thing barely freakin' moves. I'm really disappointed so far, please tell me all hope is not lost. Where do I go from here? What can I do to this thing to wake it up? I feel like I got ripped off right now...

oh come on. LOL:bonk: :p

you need to look at the free mods section. that alone will almost dubble your power. have you even taken the stock baffel out.

do the free mods. a carb preformance kit. a full exhaust. a preformance cam. (this is what i have done) the bike used to top out at 67 on the highway. now it will do 107.

oh come on. LOL:bonk: :ride:

you need to look at the free mods section. that alone will almost dubble your power. have you even taken the stock baffel out.

do the free mods. a carb preformance kit. a full exhaust. a preformance cam. (this is what i have done) the bike used to top out at 67 on the highway. now it will do 107.

OH THANK GOOOOWWWWDDDD!!! :p I bought an FMF T4 pipe and a jet kit already. Just haven't put it on yet (just brought the bike home today) I've only ridden it around the neighborhood. I was just really surprised at the complete lack of power this thing was putting out compared to my Raptor. How's the torque after doing all of that? That's what I'm really interested in. I don't so much care about top speed as I do having the power down low.

Honestly I'm thinking all this smog **** needs to go. lol

Alright I looked at the free mods section and I have a few questions. The gray wire disconnect, did it work that good? So it's behind the left plastic piece by the radiator? Also all those directions seem to be for an older 250. Is everything the same for a newer 450?

Changing the throttle stop for the YZ (or cutting it) and removing the muffler insert gives the most power increase. With those two mods, your bike will feel about 50% more powerful. If you are going to put on the FMF , do that next, then sort out your jetting. Airbox, gray wire, and the rest are very minor changes. You need to do the first two immediately, but you know that already because you've read the FAQ, right?

1 person likes this

I felt the same when I brought my 08 home. I read all the sections dealing with the free mods, as well as all exhaust related threads. Now I broke the bike in in it's stock condition then did all the free mods as well as the re jet. the hardes part was the re-jet as the rear suspension needs to come out to get at the carb properly. The first test ride was like falling in love all over again. I used to ride-race a kx500 with 70hp, so i know the feeling of power. The only down fall was the fuel milage. I went from 120km to the tank to 80km. I know this will change as soon as I compleat my siliencer work. I run a machien fab/ small engien shop and have not had time too finish. DON'T rush to judment on this bike after you do the work it will be fine. I raced an RMZ450 and was neck and neck, the bouns being i could still trail ride with out slipping the clutch all day.

Chris

Yes I read the faqs. Just a couple more questions, it's alright to do the exhaust mod without changing the jetting right? I'm ridding it this weekend but my new jet kit wont be installed yet. Also, what if I just took the throttle stop off? Why do I have to replace it with the YZ one or shorten it?

Yes I read the faqs. Just a couple more questions, it's alright to do the exhaust mod without changing the jetting right? I'm ridding it this weekend but my new jet kit wont be installed yet. Also, what if I just took the throttle stop off? Why do I have to replace it with the YZ one or shorten it?

You don't want to just remove the throttle stop screw because that leaves an opening in your carb for dirt to enter. Either shorten it or replace it with the YZ screw. They are not expensive, $2.00 or $3.00, something like that. Your dealer probably has one in stock too.

When you go to change it, use a ratchet and about 20 inches of extensions. Come in from the bottom of the bike between the rear shock and engine and guide the whole thing up in there. I think the screw is a 5mm allen, may have been a 4mm though. The screw is located on the rear of the top of the carb (vertically) with the head pointing down. Look in your manual first at the pics and then try to locate it on the carb.

Personally, I wouldn't put the FMF on yet. The bikes are already jetted a bit lean for Kalifornia and the better breathing pipe will make matters worse. Don't worry too much about the glowing head pipe for now, just get a few miles on it until you have time to do the jetting and the pipe at the same time. My opinion, and I'm a little conservative on this stuff.

When you get ready to do the jetting changes, set aside a couple of hours. The process of digging the carb out from inside the frame is a bit intensive and you don't want to be rushed. :p After about the third time getting in there, you'll figure out all the tricks and it won't take so long.

Good luck and enjoy the new toy!!!

trailhead:thumbsup:

1 person likes this

Thanks trailhead! :p I already modded the throttle stop bolt,wasn't that hard. I was about to do the stock pipe mod, but I'm wondering if I should wait. I don't think it will hurt it.

It's kind of up to you , I forgot to cover that aspect of it. You can definitely drill out the rivets and pull the plug on the tip if you haven't done it already. Yamaha also sells a larger tip but you definitely don't want to mess with that since you have your FMF already.

Glad to be able to help!

trailhead :p

It's kind of up to you , I forgot to cover that aspect of it. You can definitely drill out the rivets and pull the plug on the tip if you haven't done it already. Yamaha also sells a larger tip but you definitely don't want to mess with that since you have your FMF already.

Glad to be able to help!

trailhead :p

NICE! I'm going right now to hack it off! :moon:

Thanks Again! :ride:

Thanks trailhead! :p I already modded the throttle stop bolt,wasn't that hard. I was about to do the stock pipe mod, but I'm wondering if I should wait. I don't think it will hurt it.

I wouldnt hesitate to do the pipe mod (or....well, I guess I did hesitate

when I first got my bike, but not if I had it to do all over), but I would

definitely rejet at the same time. Bike will be WAY too lean if you dont.

Just throw in a 48 pilot and a 168 main for now. That should at least

solve the initial lean condition. Im not a carb guy at all, but I have done

a LOT of reading on here since I got my WRF. I think pretty overwhelmingly

most are running the 48/168 combo. Go ahead and throw in an adjustable

needle too. While you have the carb out, install an adjustable fuel screw

as well. All together, probably about 75 or 80 bucks.

I wouldnt hesitate to do the pipe mod (or....well, I guess I did hesitate

when I first got my bike, but not if I had it to do all over), but I would

definitely rejet at the same time. Bike will be WAY too lean if you dont.

Just throw in a 48 pilot and a 168 main for now. That should at least

solve the initial lean condition. Im not a carb guy at all, but I have done

a LOT of reading on here since I got my WRF. I think pretty overwhelmingly

most are running the 48/168 combo. Go ahead and throw in an adjustable

needle too. While you have the carb out, install an adjustable fuel screw

as well. All together, probably about 75 or 80 bucks.

Uhh... Pipe is cut, new jet kit isn't here yet. I wont have it by the time i ride this weekend either.

Uhh... Pipe is cut, new jet kit isn't here yet. I wont have it by the time i ride this weekend either.

Sorry, didnt read the whole thread. I doubt its a problem for

one weekend.

Sorry, didnt read the whole thread. I doubt its a problem for

one weekend.

that's what I was thinking :p

so what do you think of the bike after just doing the throttle screw.

long story short you need to do all these mods at the same time to keep it simple. i did the pipe (mega bomb header) carb/ cam/ ais removal kit/ gray wire/ performance air cleaner. (i know i am feorgeting something). but i am a fan of doing it all at once. and then after i was done i paid the 200 to get it dyno tested and set to prefection. my bike could not run hotter or better period. i have a hard time keeping the front wheel on the ground in the first three gears.

my wr is a god among yz sheep. i have rode with yzs that are built and they cant keep up with my wr and i usually am more than 100lbs bigger then them. coming in at 250. LOL

and dont forget that no bike is done with out a nice set of amr graphice. we sell them in our shop. i love them. i dont think there is another graphics maker that has as radical designs. i am a huge fan and give them 4 stars

so what do you think of the bike after just doing the throttle screw.

long story short you need to do all these mods at the same time to keep it simple. i did the pipe (mega bomb header) carb/ cam/ ais removal kit/ gray wire/ performance air cleaner. (i know i am feorgeting something). but i am a fan of doing it all at once. and then after i was done i paid the 200 to get it dyno tested and set to prefection. my bike could not run hotter or better period. i have a hard time keeping the front wheel on the ground in the first three gears.

my wr is a god among yz sheep. i have rode with yzs that are built and they cant keep up with my wr and i usually am more than 100lbs bigger then them. coming in at 250. LOL

and dont forget that no bike is done with out a nice set of amr graphice. we sell them in our shop. i love them. i dont think there is another graphics maker that has as radical designs. i am a huge fan and give them 4 stars

Actually I was laughing with my friends about it. After doing just the throttle stop and exhaust the bike woke right up. lol The thing wants to wheelie like crazy now. I'll do the rest of the mods and install the new FMF pipe and jet kit after this weekend so I can break it in. I got a camping trip at the end of the month with a bunch of friends at el mirage. There's a nice big dry lake bed there I think I need to wheelie across. lol

I'll check out those graphics kits. I looked for one at the place I got my bike from but they only really had stuff for the YZ.

Edit: I see you have an R1 as well, nice choice!

Alright , just got the bike broken in and I went to do the gray wire mod... I hit a little snafu. None of the wires in any of the plugs are gray. There's about 4 or 5 plugs under the gas tank and none of them have gray wires sticking out. :)

Howdy parker, If memory serves the wire your in serch of is under the number plate on the left side if your sitting on it, right by the air box. i put a switch on mine so i could go from trail to full race at flip of a switch.

Chris

Howdy parker, If memory serves the wire your in serch of is under the number plate on the left side if your sitting on it, right by the air box. i put a switch on mine so i could go from trail to full race at flip of a switch.

Chris

Thanks man! I ended up putting a switch on mine also. Let me ask you something, do you change the map while riding or do you shut the bike off first?