timesert

What size timesert is used for oilfilter drain hole?

thanks

Which drain hole in what kind of bike?

whats a timesert?

sorry, 08 yz450f. the oilfilter cover drain bolt.

whats a timesert?

http://www.timesert.com/

a superior alternative to helicoil... imo

sorry, 08 yz450f. the oilfilter cover drain bolt.
M6x1.0

I read a post a while back stating that the length of the Timesert that comes with the kit is not long enought to block of the oil passage through the drain hole. I didn't measure when I did mine I just ordered the next biggest size and had no problems. You might want to check that before you order.

Nate

ok, ill check length, if you had no problems with next longest size than ill go with that also.

I read a post a while back stating that the length of the Timesert that comes with the kit is not long enought to block of the oil passage through the drain hole. I didn't measure when I did mine I just ordered the next biggest size and had no problems. You might want to check that before you order.

Nate

That's an important point, because if the insert, regardless of brand, fails to extend in far enough to block off the drain hole that's drilled into that bolt hole, it will cause a loss of oil pressure. If you have nay doubts about it, plug the drain hole:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=634724

Nate

so instead of the 9.4 in length you went with 12.0 and that blocked off oil passage through drain bolt completely?

so instead of the 9.4 in length you went with 12.0 and that blocked off oil passage through drain bolt completely?

I think so but its been a while since I did it. The sure fire way would be to just measure the distance to the back side of the hole from the outside of the oil filter cavity. You could easily do this with a paper clip with a small bend on the end.

From memory the 9.4 was just a hair short so the 12 should work fine. You could always order the kit with a few different sizes of TimeSerts and then use the one that works. I just asked them to swap a few out when I ordered and it was no problem.