Clutch Drive gear issue/Grooved Basket

Last year I had to do a full motor teardown due to getting sand in my motor. While putting it back together i noticed that the teeth on the back side of the clutch basket did not fully engage the primary drive gear coming off of the crank. Does anyone have an 06 450 that can verify how much engagement there is supposed to be? I looked on my friends 08 and his teeth fully engage with eachother.

P1020324Large.jpg

P1020323Large.jpg

P1020330Large.jpg

Question 2

Once I completed this project and got the bike running i couldn't find neutral while it was running. Is this due to the basket being grooved as shown in the pictures? A friend said that he had a similar problem due to tighting the nut that holds the inner hub onto the transmission shaft to tight, could this cause a similar problem? Also what are your opinions on filing the clutch basket fingers ever so slightly to get rid of the grooves?

The bike makes a hellacious growling sound while running, similar to the sound it used to make when the clutch was pulled in.

:moon::ride::p

Question 2

Once I completed this project and got the bike running i couldn't find neutral while it was running. Is this due to the basket being grooved as shown in the pictures? A friend said that he had a similar problem due to tighting the nut that holds the inner hub onto the transmission shaft to tight, could this cause a similar problem? Also what are your opinions on filing the clutch basket fingers ever so slightly to get rid of the grooves?

The bike makes a hellacious growling sound while running, similar to the sound it used to make when the clutch was pulled in.

Based on the wear pattern on your driven gear, it's always been like that. I've seen this kind of mismatch before many times. If you double check your assembly, and the established wear pattern agrees, don't sweat it.

The notched basket can contribute to clutch drag, as can a number of other things (are you running new plates?) One of the things that will not contribute to it is overtightening the mainshaft nut.

Don't file out the notches; you can't get them uniformly reshaped from one finger to the next, and they'll just wear out again. Replacing the basket with a Hinson or other replacement part is less expensive than OEM, and lasts longer.

A growling noise in neutral that goes away when you pull the clutch is normal. If you have a skid plate, it can radically amplify such noises. Try removing it just for fun.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5362282#post5362282

Gray thanks for the response. I do run a skid plate, but there was more noise once I got the motor back together than before the full tear down, so I was a little nervous about the extra noise. What years of clutch baskets will fit? I think someone on here told me 05-07 should be a drop in fit, does this sound right to you?

think someone on here told me 05-07 should be a drop in fit, does this sound right to you?

Yes, it's the same part in those 3 years.

The skid plate on my son's bike made so much more noise after I did the top end that I opened the motor part way back up just to be sure. It must have gone back on a little differently than it came off. Line it with an old thin inner tube where it contacts the frame and try it again.

Yes, it's the same part in those 3 years.

The skid plate on my son's bike made so much more noise after I did the top end that I opened the motor part way back up just to be sure. It must have gone back on a little differently than it came off. Line it with an old thin inner tube where it contacts the frame and try it again.

Ha, Imagine the great Gray messing something up, that is some good humor:lol: :p:ride: That is about as unlikely to happen as the valves going out on a YZ.

Don't file out the notches; you can't get them uniformly reshaped from one finger to the next, and they'll just wear out again. Replacing the basket with a Hinson or other replacement part is less expensive than OEM, and lasts longer.

What about putting it in a mill and machining the grooves off what's you opinion on that gray? Mine developed some grooves over the summer so I'm thinking about trying to get another summer out of it.

Milling on a rotary table so that you can index the surfaces correctly in relation to each other would be OK from the standpoint of distributing the drive load properly, but you'd still have a lot of extra clearance between the plate tabs and the basket that would exaggerate impact damage.

Ok that makes sense. Thanks gray sorry for pulling up an old thread. I'm just trying to research before starting my own. :busted: