06 450 Do I Really Need A New Exhaust?

I have a 2006 YZ450F. I love it. but lately I have been feeling like i would like some more power. I ride 99% sand dunes and i just feel like i could use some more midrange. i have heard alot of people say on their 08 or 07 it made a huge difference putting a pipe on it, but with the 06 it only made a minor difference. point is idk if i want to spend 600 to 800 dollars on a new exhaust only to realize that i don't fell 600 to 800 dollars worth of improvement in power.

Is the 06 exhaust good enough?

Is there some other exhaust that will make a huge difference?

Is there some where else i should be spending my money on this bike to help the power out that would be more noticeable than the exhaust?

The most valuable information you guys can give me would be advice from other 06 owners, as i have heard the 07 and 08 stock exhausts are different.

IMO 4stroke exhausts are more for weight savings and "bling" especially on the pre 08 bikes

$800 will buy alot of tires, fuel an oil. I had to replace my exhaust on the 09, replaced it with what you have (06 header and can) and could not be happier.

I have the same bike. I put pro ciruit T4 can, and maching header pipe. I noticed the biggest differance with the header pipe. I bought that first, then the can. What did you have on yours? cg 515

mine is still stock. and i'm starting to think i'm going to keep it that way. i just wish i could improve the bottom through midrange a little. maybe if i found a used DR. D on ebay for 200 or less? i've heard great things about dr. d pipes, but mostly from guys with 07s or 08s.

mine is still stock. and i'm starting to think i'm going to keep it that way. i just wish i could improve the bottom through midrange a little. maybe if i found a used DR. D on ebay for 200 or less? i've heard great things about dr. d pipes, but mostly from guys with 07s or 08s.

Next time you are replacing piston, install a higher compression one.

you can try adding a larger rear.. 50-51 tooth should do the trick..

Next time you are replacing piston, install a higher compression one.

And maybe one that is bigger around too. :p

Normally. I would say 450 is enough but if you are riding in the dunes, I can see the extra CCs being helpful. I think you can do it for less than a exhaust too.