HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jtn 06 wr450

clutch hard to pull

9 posts in this topic

on my 06 wr its way to hard to pull, i have had many look at it and say the same thing.

what would cause this?

i have checked the cables and they move freely, routed right lubed etc.

i tried to move the clutch lever on top of the tranny and i cant move it by hand like my wifes ttr.

does this mean its time for a new clutch? are all wr's like this?

You'd be surprised. A disconnected cable can seem to slide fine but once it is installed and under tension, the worn areas make themselves know. Replace the cable.

LOL, as I noticed you response, another though came to mind, a real worn lever pivot can also cause increased lever effort.

Motion Pro cables are supposedly good stuff. I have never used one though. If your lever is in good condition (was the action good with your old cable?) then perhaps there is a fault with the new cable. Nothing is always perfect.

LIke william said, worn pivot points are usually overlooked. Look at the point where the cable ends are leveraged, and see if the device they fit into are still perfectly cylindrical in shape. I've seen levers that are toast on the pivot, that make the clutch seem seized.

My clutch was also a bitch to pull. Simply changing the cable didn't do it, but after cleaning and lubing the lever pivot with fork oil (and the cable itself while at it) it became pretty decent.

i sprayed teflon lube into the cable and it helped. compared to most cable clutches it is still stiff. i pulled on the clutch push lever going into the clutch housing and couldnt even make it budge with my fingers. no wonder the cable seems tight. are your wr 450 clutch push levers the same?

pulled on the clutch push lever going into the clutch housing and couldnt even make it budge with my fingers. no wonder the cable seems tight. are your wr 450 clutch push levers the same?

This is normal for pretty much any bike.

I agree with the guys, check that lever/bracket pivot point.

Greg

greased the pivot point and the cable ends with white lithium and it looked to be in good condition