HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bill petitt

Cam chain in place..WAYYYYY too tight!

10 posts in this topic

08 yz450f. put a top end in it so I decided might as well do the cam chain. I kept the fly wheel off and got TDC. All my marks are spot on!! Any way, the problem is now I cant put the chain tensioner in. It is ridiculously tight and I only have the tensioner in half way. I do not understand. I still have the fly wheel off, to make sure it is on and there are no kinks in the chain. I laid the old chain and new chain together and the are the same size. It was purchased from a dealer. I know if I had the MCCT, I could adjust it out, but the darn chain seems practically tight enough WITHOUT the tensioner in!

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Bill

Had a similar problem when I was getting everything put back together after replacing the head gasket. The tensioner wasn't pulled back enough. According to the manual for my 426, which should work for the 450, 'while pressing lightly on the tensioner rod, use a thin screwdriver and wind the tensioner rod up fully clockwise.' This will pull in the tensioner rod, get it installed in, then use the screwdriver to turn the screw the other direction to release the rod into the chain. Hope this helps.

The chain tensioner must be fully retracted when putting it back in, just as bill explained, but remember to recheck the timing after the tensioner is released!

just done the cam chain & guides on my 03 450 & the tensioner must be wound all the way in as the new chain will be tighter than the old one. the complete process is quite tricky & you must double check everything. good luck mick wr

Thanks. I must not have explained my self well enough, though. If I adjust the cam chain tensioner all the way in(retracted) and install it, the cam chain is so tight, it feels like a guitar string!!! I could seriously run the bike WITHOUT a tensioner in and I would still be worried that it is too tight.

Thanks for the help. We will give her another shot today.

Thanks. I must not have explained my self well enough, though. If I adjust the cam chain tensioner all the way in(retracted) and install it, the cam chain is so tight, it feels like a guitar string!!! I could seriously run the bike WITHOUT a tensioner in and I would still be worried that it is too tight.

Thanks for the help. We will give her another shot today.

Sounds like you have let the chain drop into the bottom end too far and it bunched up a little below the crank and hooked on the lower sprocket. Hold the cam chain up in the air with one hand and slowly turn the crank over. You should feel the chain suddenly seem like it becomes longer. Get the crank back at TDC, and then put everything together.

if you got the cams under the chain then your chain is fine and not too tight, you should be able to get the tensioner in. When fully retracted, the tensioner does not push on the guide, there will be a small space that gets taken up when the tensioner is released.

With the chain in place, and the tensioner removed, there should be slack in the chain. If there is not, check for an extra link hanging off at the crank, and for a cam not seated.

Understand that the tensioner CANNOT be pushed back to a retracted position by any amount of force applied to the end of the plunger, and so must be fully retracted when it is installed. Up until the '06 models the tensioner could be "parked" in a fully retracted state simply by running it all the way in and letting it catch there. After installation, you bump it forward a little and it winds itself into place.

Newer models have to be held back by a small tool such as the metal tab that comes with a new tensioner, or by hand, which can be um, "challenging", to say the least. Again, once in place, the tensioner is released and immediately adjusts itself.