HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
byubronco

Y426 Small Oil Leak

6 posts in this topic

New to the 2000 426. I have a small oil leak from the screw (10mm head) near the decompression lever/cable on the head. It has a copper gasket and the oil is definitely leaking from this screw. Can I pull that screw out to look at/replace that copper gasket without jacking anything up? I just don't want to pull the screw out and mess up that decompression lever.

Thx

yes its fine to pull it out. All it does is keep the decomp arm in place, but you will be fine by removing the screw.

Be careful tightening it. You may find it already stripped.

First, sorry for posting in the wrong section.

Second, I think I found the problem. I pulled the screw out and sure enough, someone stripped it and put a heli-coil in it. It looks like they didn't install it correctly and left a small piece of the heli-coil above the sealing surface, so the copper gasket doesn't sit flush. I plan to file that little bit off tommorrow and see if I can get a good seal. It seems to tighten up OK, although the screw doesn't look like it is in good shape. Might replace it just to be safe.

Thanks for the info

First, sorry for posting in the wrong section.
Wrong section?

Anyway, where I have run across problems like off-square thread repairs and stuff, I have found that a little #3 "Aviation" Permatex on the threads helps stop the leak.

Wrong section?

Anyway, where I have run across problems like off-square thread repairs and stuff, I have found that a little #3 "Aviation" Permatex on the threads helps stop the leak.

yeah, I had originally posted this in a general forum before I knew that the specific make/model forums existed (didn't scroll down to find them). A mod moved the thread here.