lucas octane booster

In my manual and on the bike when I bought it, it said to run 95octane or higher. Since I;m sure not all of us have the acsess to race gas, I run Chevron 94octane. Thats the highest octane I can get from the pumps. Has anyone tried or recommened triing lucas octane booster for motorcycles. It said on the bottle that it could be used in dirtbikes. If so would you have to rejet the carb? Its all ready bang on with the jet kit, and fuel screw i've added. And what would you have to change? "looked back a few pages had not seen this one yet" remember i'm a newbie:thumbsup:

Does a higher octane give you more horsepower? And what octane is race gas? Not that I need more power just wondering.

Higher octane doesn't do anything for horsepower. You just need enough octane to keep the engine from spark-knocking. Too much octane will actually slow it down.

Higher octane does not give you more hp in most cases.. Putting it in your tank in some cases can make less hp in your motor... Race gas can go from 87 - C16 which is 160 octane....There are alot more factors than just the octane when you are looking at using race gas. Alot of these fuels have different burn Characteristics slower burns etc.. For using octane boosters I would stay away from them, in most cases they will gum up your valves and head surfaces.

yz007f

In my manual and on the bike when I bought it, it said to run 95octane or higher. Since I;m sure not all of us have the acsess to race gas, I run Chevron 94octane. Thats the highest octane I can get from the pumps. Has anyone tried or recommened triing lucas octane booster for motorcycles. It said on the bottle that it could be used in dirtbikes. If so would you have to rejet the carb? Its all ready bang on with the jet kit, and fuel screw i've added. And what would you have to change? "looked back a few pages had not seen this one yet" remember i'm a newbie:thumbsup:

I assume from your signature line that you have an 06. My 07`s manual tells me the same thing, except it says 95 research octane. What that means is that the octane rating we get at the pump is a combined research-motor octane rating. If my memory serves correctly, the research

octane is always higher than motor octane, so 91 octane from the pump (remember, this is a combined averaged rating) should do you. It`s what I run in my 07 YZ 450F.

I assume from your signature line that you have an 06. My 07`s manual tells me the same thing, except it says 95 research octane. What that means is that the octane rating we get at the pump is a combined research-motor octane rating. If my memory serves correctly, the research

octane is always higher than motor octane, so 91 octane from the pump (remember, this is a combined averaged rating) should do you. It`s what I run in my 07 YZ 450F.

Kent is correct. The manual calls for 95 Research Octane Number (RON). US gas pumps are labeled with the Anti-Knock Index, which is an average of RON and the much lower Motor octane number (MON). 91 US pump octane equates to about 95-96 RON.

Read:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2827893#post2827893

Octane number became equated with power output in the public mind during the early 50's, when bigger higher compression engines began to appear in more generally available cars. The high compression engines needed the octane, of course, and they produced more power, so many of the oil companies' marketing divisions began creating an association in their ads between the higher power and the use of their more expensive fuel. In truth, higher octane only allows the use of technology that produces more power. Octane itself is a non-power producing attribute, and adds no power to the equation at all.