HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IFOL519

Mud in engine

20 posts in this topic

I recently raced a hare scramble and I got stuck in the mud. It took 5 guys and about two hours to get my bike out. When we got the bike out and started it it made a strange noise but it still ran. When I got home I checked the radiators and they were empty and the I checked the oil and mud started to come out. I used oil and air to try and get it out but some mud is still coming out. What should I do? Do I keep doing this? I have not started the bike again

I run a 2007 yz450f

thanks

I recently raced a hare scramble and I got stuck in the mud. It took 5 guys and about two hours to get my bike out. When we got the bike out and started it it made a strange noise but it still ran. When I got home I checked the radiators and they were empty and the I checked the oil and mud started to come out. I used oil and air to try and get it out but some mud is still coming out. What should I do? Do I keep doing this? I have not started the bike again

I run a 2007 yz450f

thanks

i would at least pull of the crankcase cover on both sides and inspect..but for on the radiators being completely empty i would be reaaaaally worried unless you find a hole in the cores somewhere....goodluck glad it not me :p and if it were me because im ocd with my bike i would take the motor out and tear it down and check everypart on it !!

split the cases, clean inspect, and assemble, and then flush it a couple times using some kind of cheap oil. then dump some good in and run it, after about 45 min, to 1 hour of riden, empty it out and change oil filter and oil.

No shortcuts. Tear the whole thing down and do it right. The potential expense in the alternative is just too big.

i would tear that whole motor apart no questions asked. i wouldent be surprise if you have to replace a lot of parts inside..

ie. clutch, bearings, valves ect..

Make sure you disassemble the oil pump and clean it. Grit will grind into the case if left untouched.

Make sure you disassemble the oil pump and clean it.

I would just replace the oil pump and rotor, along with the main bearings and big end bearing (and anything else that doesn't look right).

Sorry to here that, I had a wr 426 only 200 miles old that got stuck in deep

mud , we had the same problem the bike would not start ,when we got it running rode 5 miles home,the engine was full of mud so we stripped the motor . I had to change oil pump,engine bearing, camshaft, piston and barrel

, the mud had blocked all the oil feeds and the mud must have been quite sandy because it looked like someone had shot blasted the internals.

I hope you have better luck

Well as you guys said I took my motor to my mechanic and he opened it up and it was not pretty. Now I need to find alot of part so I was wondering if you guys knew were to get oem parts at low cost.

I have purchased some of the parts I need such as the cylinder, piston and gaskets, but the head also was damaged so I need another one, my mechanic says he has one but he doesnt have the buckets that go ontop of the valves. The problem is I cant find were they sell them, I looked at the TT store but I could find them, anyone know were I could purchase them?

thanks for all the help

I have purchased some of the parts I need such as the cylinder, piston and gaskets, but the head also was damaged so I need another one, my mechanic says he has one but he doesnt have the buckets that go ontop of the valves. The problem is I cant find were they sell them, I looked at the TT store but I could find them, anyone know were I could purchase them?

thanks for all the help

Yamaha (or TT OEM ). Right there on the Valve page in the parts book:

3FV-12153-10-00 (5 required )

upside is you're going to have a brand new motor when all is said and done

I feel stupid now.

I was looking in the wrong place.

thanks

It takes a while to get the hang of the parts book layout.