coolant ran dry, lost compression.. :(

OK, i was out riding the other week and my bike died like it ran out of fuel.. if only it was just that. I checked it out and it had enough fresh oil in it, even though it had dumped some on my rear wheel through the breather. Everything appeared alright, it's just that it didn't have compression. So I got it home and have had it sitting in the garage since due to lack of funds and mechanical impotence..

So today I thought i'd drag it out and have a look into it a bit more. and guess what, the radiator was dry.. doh ? So basically i'm wondering, has this happened to anyone before ? I looked through the archives but couldn't find anyone stupid enough.. but am pretty concerned about what could be wrong with my bike.

I tried kicking it over for about 10mins straight with no luck, then tried roll-starting it a few times down my street.. but with no success. It sounded like it wanted to start, but alas it didn't. Compression isn't completely gone btw - it still has enough to lock up the wheel occasionally when i dump the clutch, but I can push the kicker through with my hand. Overall it's pretty disappointing.

Any thoughts/suggestions/abuse ? cheers :D

Another possibility would be that the rings got so hot that they lost their tension. I'd throw some new rings and gaskets in it and get the cylinder honed. Then mic it and if the clearance is not ok, then replace the piston. Have a look at the valves when you have it apart. If they look good I'd throw it back together and try it out. Good luck