Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FlyingV450

weird question

11 posts in this topic

Ok, so I am asking a noob question. :p I bought an '03 YZ450F recently which I am now the 3rd owner. Apparently the 1st owner had it set up for supermoto. The second owner switched it back for MX. Here is my question, there is an aftermarket piece installed between the carb and the cylinder that has hoses that appear to be from the cooling system. I'm sorry that I am not posting pics right now. I will have some tomorrow and I will post if someone doesn't cant help without them.

What the hell is it?!

One more thing, I guess the bike has a big bore kit in it as well. I talked to the 2nd owner and he seemed to remember that it had a big bore kit installed.

Thanks for any help and please keep the jokes to a minimum

Motard bikes require catch cans for the carb and radiator overflow as well as crank breather. This is to prevent others from crashing when on the track.

Thanks for the reply. I just solved the mystery, it is a pulsator. Better throttle response, I didnt think the 03 had trouble with that...

It hits hard to say the least. Fun to ride!

Thanks for the reply. I just solved the mystery, it is a pulsator. Better throttle response, I didnt think the 03 had trouble with that...

It hits hard to say the least. Fun to ride!

Remove it.

Regretfully, I do not. Is that the story of the magic pulsator?

My guess is its something that takes the intake/exhaust pulse to help deliver fuel like on an old snowmobile?

Regretfully, I do not. Is that the story of the magic pulsator?

Dumbo. You'll have to look it up.

It occurs to me that someone may have put an other-than-original carb on this beast.

Yikes, I appreciate your candidness Gray. Thanks for the advise, could you elaborate why? I dont have a lot of working knowledge of bikes and I am eager to learn.

By the way, thank you again for the replies

:p

could you elaborate why?
You'll have to look it up.

I think he may be sick of answering all the ( or just my) noob questions

Yikes, I appreciate your candidness Gray. Thanks for the advise, could you elaborate why? I dont have a lot of working knowledge of bikes and I am eager to learn.

By the way, thank you again for the replies

It depends on what it really is. As I said, it could be that someone has some sort of oddball aftermarket carb on the bike, and this gizmo you are identifying as a pulsator is a functional component of that. In that case, you should leave it in place unless replacing the carb with an original. If it's just a gadget under the stock carb, then it's useless, and will likely cause problems of its own down the road.

A picture would help.