valve check

Where exactly am I supposed to be inserting the feeler gauge? I have everything apart and can't discern from the manual exactly where the gap is that I'm checking.

Where exactly am I supposed to be inserting the feeler gauge? I have everything apart and can't discern from the manual exactly where the gap is that I'm checking.

the feeler gauge needs to be inserted between the bottom of the cam lobes and the top of the valve buckets(chrome caps). The exhaust cam has 2 lobes, and the intake cam has 3 lobes. The middle lobe on the intake cam can be a bit tricky to get to for some people. Start on the right side of the bike(kickstart side) and look at the cam lobes at the end of the cams, it will give you a good visual of where the gauges go.

Thanks erickdj. That is one tight fit! How important is it to apply gasket sealer to the valve cover? I can just see it getting all over inside as I try to put the cover back in place.

Thanks erickdj. That is one tight fit! How important is it to apply gasket sealer to the valve cover? I can just see it getting all over inside as I try to put the cover back in place.

No sealer necessary if the gasket is in good condition. Just make sure the gasket contact surface is clean as well as the head contact surface.