HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bluebreadtruck

adding high comp piston and cam make a huge difference?

4 posts in this topic

I have my bike uncorked and have a full exhaust. I once had a 2002' yamaha 660 raptor atv, where I added a full exhaust, high comp piston and a hotcam... it made a HUGE difference!!!

Just wondering if it would be really worth the money to install a 13.5:1 PISTON and hotcams? I know these engines are really wound up tight from the factpry!

Birdy426 says that it really makes quite a difference. He also has the big bore 444 but I think he had a high comp before that too. Ask him he'll let you know

High comp, hot cams and the full exhaust is a great combination. I did run a 13.5:1 with Hot Cams intake and exhaust (and a YZ pipe) on my '01 before I went big bore. You have more of everything all the way across the powerband. You get more on the bottom from the hi-comp piston, then a pretty good hit into the midrange, and the big end of the powerband is soooo much better than stock. The only reason I went big bore was because it was cheaper than having my stock barrel stripped, replated and honed. Of course, now that I've done it, I will never go back, but it certainly wasn't because I needed more power than the 13.5:1 and hot cams could give me.

For what it's worth, I can get away running most pump regular gas without death-rattle as well.

Birdy