How do you like the 01 yz426f???

I ride an xr400 that I'm not thinking on trading out but I have an opportunity to add a yz426 to the garage. What's the pros and cons in your opinion(s)? Is it something I'm going to get use out of? Or am I just going to pick the xr to do my trail riding?

I ride an xr400 that I'm not thinking on trading out but I have an opportunity to add a yz426 to the garage. What's the pros and cons in your opinion(s)? Is it something I'm going to get use out of? Or am I just going to pick the xr to do my trail riding?

Way lighter( you will be amased as to how much easier it is to ride than the xr), crazy power, rips wheelies in every gear without clutch. Very fun bike. Pretty reliable too. Just do an oil change after every 4-6 hours of seat time and filter every other oil change depending on how hard you ride. The only down side to trail riding(I ride Single Track) is that first gear is a bit tall due to it being a race bike. But with some gearing adjustments and a flywheel weight, they are killer trail machines. They can look real nice too.?

IMG_0599.jpg

IMG_0606.jpg

IMG_0610.jpg

Hey thanks, it's just as I thought then! I was thinking of beautifying my xr and shredding on the 426. This would be a safe path then?

When you say gearing change for more capable trail riding would that be doing more than sprocket changes? Or would tooth count not be enough? What would you recommend? I like the single track more than anything else as well. I'm in Idaho so we get some good hill climbs, creek beds (rock & sand) and desert trails.

I came from an '87 XL250R to an '02 YZ426. All I can say is wow. To me at least the power, suspension, and feel of the bike was like night and day. The only work I've done to it, besides oil change and filter cleaning, is change the head gasket as I was getting water in the oil. Once my buddy and I got in there though, the cylinder still looked to be in great shape, as did the piston and valves. I'm a huge fan of my 426. I don't ride tracks, just trail riding, single and double track. Changed out the gearing to 13/50 and it does great.

Hey thanks, it's just as I thought then! I was thinking of beautifying my xr and shredding on the 426. This would be a safe path then?

When you say gearing change for more capable trail riding would that be doing more than sprocket changes? Or would tooth count not be enough? What would you recommend? I like the single track more than anything else as well. I'm in Idaho so we get some good hill climbs, creek beds (rock & sand) and desert trails.

I would do it you will not regret the switch. All you have to do is put a flywheel weight and some tinkering with sprokets, and it will be very agressive. 14/49 is stock. I run 13/53 so I basically geared down 6 teeth. Keep in mind that my top speed is only 45-50mph now though. But I have no flywheel weight. If I put one on I could run 14/53 and it would be geared low enough for singletrack without stalling all the time. The bike is a serious hillclimb machine. If you can stay on the bike, it will make it.

I would do it you will not regret the switch. All you have to do is put a flywheel weight and some tinkering with sprokets, and it will be very agressive. 14/49 is stock. I run 13/53 so I basically geared down 6 teeth. Keep in mind that my top speed is only 45-50mph now though. But I have no flywheel weight. If I put one on I could run 14/53 and it would be geared low enough for singletrack without stalling all the time. The bike is a serious hillclimb machine. If you can stay on the bike, it will make it.

Well, I did it!!! I have it in my garage now. You're right though! This thing has MAD response and power! :worthy: I am dying to take it out. Thanks for the advice.? I will follow suit........

I have a 2001 426 and love it. My only complaint is that they could be a little lighter. Depending on what has been done to the bike you may want to make a few mods to make it even better for the trail, but all us guys can help you out with that. Fly wheel weight, gearing, carb mods, exhaust, power now valve, cam, etc. I learned how to make mine perfect with help from other owners on this website. Just hang on when you twist the throttle the first time!!

Well I have the 02 426 but it's pretty much the same bike. Actually it's a WR but it looks and runs like a YZ!?

It is an excellent all around bike, great for trails, hills, desert and sand! Also reliable with little maitanence. Just change the oil and check the valve clearance every so often and you can just keep riding it:ride:

P2220247.jpg

good ones i hope. :banghead:

and we wana see a pic!

So here's some pics when I got it home. I would have put them on earlier but I was out putting a new chain and sprockets on, change oil and put a clutch lever on it so I can ride in the morning. :worthy:

Well, I guess it is morning! Hey!? What we'll do to go ride!!!

DSCF4605comp1.jpg

DSCF4608comp1.jpg

DSCF4609comp1.jpg

Hey that's a clean bike. Looks to be in good shape, how was the ride?

It was shred'n :worthy: I was a little fatigued though (Too long in the garage last night). It definitely needs a new rear tire.. But I love it! very responsive.? And light, to me, I'm use to my XR400.

It has 14/50 sprockets. It was a bit sensitive. Got to get that flywheel weight on there though. I was told $200 is that right? I haven't looked into it on line. I'm sure you can get one on ebay or somewhere less expensive right?

It was shred'n :worthy: I was a little fatigued though (Too long in the garage last night). It definitely needs a new rear tire.. But I love it! very responsive.? And light, to me, I'm use to my XR400.

It has 14/50 sprockets. It was a bit sensitive. Got to get that flywheel weight on there though. I was told $200 is that right? I haven't looked into it on line. I'm sure you can get one on ebay or somewhere less expensive right?

about $200, I knew youd like it.

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=50&navTitle=Engine&webCatId=17&prodFamilyId=6069#vehicleSelect

I had a 2000 YZ426 and loved it. I then went to a YZ450 06 and now WR450 07.

The 426 has awesome power but is slightly heavier than the newer bikes. Great bang for buck.

Both my YZ426 and YZ450

Dongaraute1.jpg

YZ426

RIMG1035.jpg

muddy426.jpg

My mate now owns the bike, still going strong!

I cant believe everyone likes this bike. Mine had the worst starting problems ever from the factory. Unless you do the bk mod on the carb and 450 auto decompression cam its not worth it. Selling it is a problem too because everyone knows about the plethera of carb problems and hot start crap. It has a lot of power and is good if your willing to deal with its problems. I would say find a 450, more cc, and fuel injection would be the way to go.

I cant believe everyone likes this bike. Mine had the worst starting problems ever from the factory. Unless you do the bk mod on the carb and 450 auto decompression cam its not worth it. Selling it is a problem too because everyone knows about the plethera of carb problems and hot start crap. It has a lot of power and is good if your willing to deal with its problems. I would say find a 450, more cc, and fuel injection would be the way to go.

I wouldn't go as far to say that a 450 is a much better bike. Yes, it's newer, a little faster, and more technologically advanced, but as far as being better I would say it's all in the eyes of the holder. Ever since I bought my 02 YZ426F, I've loved it! Yes you have to get used to the little things on this bike, but once all that is taken care of it's one heck of a machine!!! Seems like you've already conquered all the things that irritate people the most about this bike...I was one of them...so you should have no problems out of it. I guess everyone has their own personal prefrence....this is just my .02

Congrats on your new addition!!! ?