HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Navaho6

Is my shock alright?

6 posts in this topic

I bought an '06 WR450 last month. When I pull up on the rear and the shock tops out, it is a hard "clunk". Don't know if this is normal for a Yamaha but none my other bikes have done this.

It would be worth checking the bearing at the bottom of the shock first, as the clunking sound may only appear to be comming from inside the shock.

I would also check swingarm and linkage bearings for movement and the top shock bearing although they normally don't wear as fast as the bottom one.

The only clunking sound I have experienced has been a bearing worn.

However it may be due for a shock service anyhow.

The bike only has 900 miles on it. The bearings are tight. There is no movement or loose feeling either. It's when I top out the shock by pulling all the way up, there is rigid hit but no loose parts. I had a KTM previously and it had a top out spring that I am guessing the Yami doesn't have.

There is no top out spring, and you can hear the shock or linkage top out, but I would describe it more as a muffled noise than clunking. If all linkages are tight then it is probably normal, but you could check by comparing another WR with yours to be sure.

There is no top out spring, and you can hear the shock or linkage top out, but I would describe it more as a muffled noise than clunking. If all linkages are tight then it is probably normal, but you could check by comparing another WR with yours to be sure.

It not so much of a noise, just a feeling of a sudden stop.