HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wr400X

Mystery of the disappearing O-ring

6 posts in this topic

untitled-4.jpg

I am missing the o-ring that goes on the end of the carb side drain screw on my 2000 wr400. Conveniently, the screw and o-ring are conspicuously absent from the parts diagram. See red circle in pic above. That's where the screw with attatched o-ring are supposed to go. I have been to the local bike shop three times now.

I need this o-ring!!!

No oring used. The screw has a slightly conal tip that closes off the passage way from the bowl to the drain line. I have only seen the screw come with the bowl, though some carb parts places may carry them. It is not considered a normal service item.

I concur with William. There's no o-ring for that screw. The copper tip should seal and prevent gas leaks. If you are leaking gas it could be your float valve. I took my wr400 carb apart and had the same concern but after many hours of inspecting the carb bowl I realized there's no o-ring seal. My carb was leaking and the float vavle was the culprit.

Despite making a fool of myself in my assumption, your replies have helped me realize that must be the problem. Some other o-ring in my recent memory must have got me off track. I will be ordering the needle set asap.

The diagram sure doesn't have the screw in it, so that kind of threw me through a loop as well.

I appreciate your help and hopefully soon I will be tearing it up on my favorite blue machine once again.

thanks

Try Sudco for the carb parts. Yamaha wants to sell the whole needle/seat assembly. Sudco will sell just the needle. With the rubber tip on the needle, the seat almost never goes bad. Make sure you order the O-Ring that goes around the needle seat as well...as soon as you take the seat out of the carb, that O-Ring will start to leak, and then even if your float is set right and the needle is good, you will still leak past the O-Ring and overflow the float bowl.