HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lukey_muffler

Buying an 03 WR450f. What do i need to look out for??

5 posts in this topic

Hi all.... I'm compleatly new to this site, but i'm hopeing you can help me out.

I'm looking to buy an 03 WR450f. I've had a look around and due to my budget and personal taste this is what i've decided to go with. I just finished reading up on the 03/04 stator conversion which was very educational but i was wondering what else i needed to look out for?? Being that the best advice i can get off my mates is that "it's a damn sexy bike", i was hopeing for a little more insight. The bike apperantly has about 10000 km on the clock and is very tidy indeed, actually i love it, but should this be love or lust??

I would greatly appreciate any advice anyone can offer.

As with any used dirt bike you should look at EVERYTHING. I usually go after the chain and sprockets(especially the front) and air filter first. If a guy can't take care of the easy stuff then he probably didn't take care of any of it. Also look at the oil. That's another telltale sign the guy was a bit slack with the upkeep.

Engine noise. Do a search on it and there's a lot of info on possible causes. My bike is currently making a pinging/ringing sound under load with indicates piston slap. Maintenance make a huge difference in the longevity of the bike. Get into their maint. records if they kept them. I keep a log on all my bikes. Hope that helps.:lol: