HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ca_101

Engine Teardown Special Tools?

10 posts in this topic

I recently picked up an '00 426, seized up. I got it pretty cheap, that is why I bought it. I already picked up a '02 crank with necessary gears to switch it over, expecting that is the problem. I was just wondering what special tools I will need for this job? I know the shop manual has all kinds of special yami tools, but which do I actually need? I have all of the common tools, and a couple of torque wrenches (smallest is 0-75 ft/lbs). This is the fist yamaha and fist 4-stroke (besides my pit bike) I will be splitting the cases, so just looking for some advice from experience. BTW, I can still turn the engine over with the kicker, but it turns really hard. The guy I picked it up from said it started seizing and he shut it right down. Any comments on the problem or teardown would be great!

Two that I can think of: a puller for the flywheel, and a puller to get the left case off the crank. The left case main bearing and left half of the crank have an interference fit that requires a puller to separate them. The right side of the same just drop into each other.

A flywheel puller is the only tool really needed if your replacing the crank assembly. YZF cases almost pop apart on there own when all the bolts are removed. I light "love" tap from a rubber hammer and they split right apart.

I have the puller to remove the crank from the case, but a large hammer will also remove it.... (use this method only if your junking the old crank).

What about a different puller to install the new crank into the left case half?

Not needed. Freeze the crank assembly and she'll slide right in. :lol:

Yeah, I actually got the "freeze" method advice from a buddy of mine the other day. It's a pretty creative idea.

Would anyone recommend replacing the oil pump or can it be cleaned/conditioned? Does it wear out?

Yeah, I actually got the "freeze" method advice from a buddy of mine the other day. It's a pretty creative idea.
Well, it might have been, say over 100 years ago, but it's been around way too long to be considered creative any more. Now it's just an old trick.

Would anyone recommend replacing the oil pump or can it be cleaned/conditioned? Does it wear out?

The manual shows you how to check it. But, I've never checked them, I just replace both parts (the pump and rotor come as 2 seperate parts) for the piece of mind aspect.