HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wellsy1

06 yz450f found intake cam 1 tooth off from factory

8 posts in this topic

06 yz450f I went to do my first valve adjustment noticed the timing mark was off 1 tooth on the intake cam from the factory. When i put it back together I set it back to where it should be. It was like a brand knew bike, with way more horsepower. Did they retard it on purpose? Or am i the only one this has happened to? If you notice it you should try it!!!!!!!!!

06 yz450f I went to do my first valve adjustment noticed the timing mark was off 1 tooth on the intake cam from the factory. When i put it back together I set it back to where it should be. It was like a brand knew bike, with way more horsepower. Did they retard it on purpose? Or am i the only one this has happened to? If you notice it you should try it!!!!!!!!!

It was not set that way unless by mechanical error. Or, in my opinion, your cam chain jumped a tooth from being too warn. I would replace the cam chain and check the tensioner. It has been happening a lot to people on the forums and some have had catastrophic failure due to piston valve contact.

I know thats what i thought. But its been two years now, with same chain and tentioner, I've even got aftermarket valves, and have not had any more problems. It must have been an error. Thanks.

OK, I'm perplexed. If you've had aftermarket valves installed, why the heck would you think the factory timed your cam wrong when someone else has had it apart?

Besides, after two years, if the cam actually was retarded one tooth, it probably slipped on it's own due to a worn chain or a seizure.

sorry. I installed the valves only six months ago. But still running stock timing chain, and have had no problems. It was on the first vavle adjustment that we noticed the timing marks were off, from the factory, with all stock valves, springs, etc.

sorry. I installed the valves only six months ago. But still running stock timing chain, and have had no problems. It was on the first vavle adjustment that we noticed the timing marks were off, from the factory, with all stock valves, springs, etc.

so why bring it up now when it happend 6 months ago?

Because I just joined thumper talk yesterday, and this problem has been bugging me for ever.

Because I just joined thumper talk yesterday, and this problem has been bugging me for ever.

true well welcome, your never going to get off your computer now:thumbsup: