HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yz400fsmasher

how do i jet a 98' yz400f for 110?

4 posts in this topic

You might find a 110 octane fuel that does that, but it won't be because of the octane number. Note that U4e2 and simi9lar fuels actually formulated for racing four strokes are only around 92-94 octane.

Octane number in and of itself has not one thing to do with power, or jetting, or anything whatsoever other than the resistance of the fuel to detonation under extreme pressure. In that regard, if your bike does not ping on 91, you will gain nothing from using a higher octane fuel than that.

It may well be, and in fact is, that there are racing fuels which can offer some gains in power, and many of these fuel are also higher than pump octane, but the octane is NOT where the power comes from.

Whether you need to change jets for a given fuel or not depends on the particular chemistry of the fuel itself. Basically, absent any recommendation from the fuel blender, you'll just have to try it and see.

Typically you jet richer. and i'm 95% sure that you advance the timing because race gas tends to burn slower. Gray, correct me if i'm wrong but I believe thats the case.

Typically you jet richer. and i'm 95% sure that you advance the timing because race gas tends to burn slower. Gray, correct me if i'm wrong but I believe thats the case.
You are wrong. First, no one has yet said "race gas" was at issue, only high octane gas. Second, Race gas generally burns at least as fast as pump gas, if not faster. And third, octane number and burning rate are NOT related to each other in any way.

Altering the timing on a YZF can only be done by physically modifying parts of the ignition system. As built, it's fixed, and controlled by the CDI.

Some race gases are oxygenated. That is, they contain components that release additional oxygen into the combustion reaction as it takes place. These do often require richer jetting. Others jet just like pump gas. Some pump gases just yield less energy per pound, and need to be bumped richer because of that, but there is no rule of thumb as to one category of gas needing to be jetted richer based on what kind it is.

The only thing that will determine how a gas should be jetted is to run it, try it it richer and leaner, and see what it likes.