HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CuLayTur

Top end and Synthetic Oil

5 posts in this topic

In my quest to complete my top end, which is being rebuilt for a second time (long story). The cylinder and piston are a nickle-ceramic coating for Max Power. They are saying to use Redline Synthetic for the initial break-in period. But from my I have heard and read, break-in with synthetic is a no-no because the rings will not seat properly. Is this still the case? Has anybody had a cylinder and/or piston with this type of ceramic coating?

Thanks,

Curt

Bump back to the top.... I can't beleive nobody has tried this type of coat before... I must be the guinea pig on this... I hope not.

Thanks,

Curt

i had my 250F done by USChrome with their NiCom. i stupidly used Amsoil 100% synthetic on break in and the rings never seated. i mean to the point it was smoking as bad as a poorly jetted 2stroke. i was doing the James Bond thing and leaving a smoke trail of oil all over the place. in one harescramble, i burnt up 0.7L of the 1.7L that my bike holds in a mere 40 miles. i've rebuilt it since.

curt, i'm not going to tell you what to do, but only tell you what i did and how badly it turned out. on the rebuild, i went with castrol gtx 20w50 (red cap, non-ec) and so far it seems to be doing fine.

FWIW, everything I've read on break-in specifically states do not use synth for the break-in period because the rings will not seat properly. Synth is too slippery and does not allow the parts to wear against each other and 'settle in'.

Thanks for your input. I too, know the pitfall's with using a synthetic oil on a break-in period, but it's this damn ceramic cylinder coating. The company insists that using Redline synthetic is the only thing they recommend for break-in.... period.... But my gut says "H@ll no!!!!" I'm not sure I can take the risk... And have to redo the top-end again for a third time... :)

Thanks,

Curt