HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tarmac_terrorist

li moly No. 2 grease for impeller oil seals?

8 posts in this topic

Hello.

I've spent the day hunting for lightweight lithium soap base grease as specified in the 07 manual. Zero luck. Best I could buy was li moly no 2 grease. Would this be sufficient? iirc its rated to 130 centigrade.

thanks.

Bump...

What kind of grease are y'all using on your WR... just any water proof grease suffice????

hello ggbshe. A man at yamaha said i could use vasaline.But having dropped a few ££ on parts, I wound up spraying the seals with liquid lithium grease & using lithium moly no 2 (medium) grease to lube the impeller seals to. Seems to be ok. Spent ages trying to get lightweight lithium grease but my local motor shops did not stock this product.

Vasaline....that seems strange... Thanks for the imput. I need to do the impeller seal too. How much lube do the seals need? just on the lip??

Vasaline....that seems strange... Thanks for the imput. I need to do the impeller seal too. How much lube do the seals need? just on the lip??

Thats what i thought as well .:p The manager of my local yamaha shop said i could use vaseline :ride:. I think vaseline is a petroleum product, but there was no way I was going to use vaseline having spent a small fortune on parts and fluids. Yes the manual states to lube just the lip.

Vaseline is a petroleum product, and is perfectly OK to use for assembling oil seals, even if it doesn't cost a fortune.

Almost any petroleum based automotive grease will do, really, and your elusive lithium grease is nothing more than good old white "Lubri-plate". Should be available most anywhere.

On the coolant side, though, I like to fill the gap between the inner and outer facing lips of the seal with an EP bearing grease containing moly.

If you get tired of the impeller shafts getting grooved by the coolant seal, CV4 now makes a hardened and nitride coated replacement shaft for $45.

I did my seals,shaft and bearing rode for three hours and it started leaking again today:foul: