HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mose Howard

Spark at TDC

5 posts in this topic

I have a question regarding how the engine knows to send a spark on every other TDC stroke, when the stator/magneto is reading off the crank/flywheel? In my thinking, some sort of sensor would need to be reading the cam(s) to know which TDC stroke to fire on, but this is obviously not the case on my 08 YZF 450. Anyone else thought about this?

Correct, it fires every other stroke, but how does it know not to send a signal to spark on every other stroke?

Mose

It creates a spark at the correct time before every TDC. That way it doesn't have to figure anything out. The one that occurs at TDC between the exhaust and intake stroke does nothing because the incoming fuel/air mix is nowhere near dense enough to be ignited at that point.