Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ysr50speed

Jetting (jet questions) which one starter and what one pilot??

8 posts in this topic

So I looked in the jetting section and looked on sudco 's website for a diagram of the carb. They only list a main jet and slow jet. The jetting list on this forum says main jet, pilot and starter. I ordered the right jets but I may have ordered the starter and pilot jet backwards. Which one has the emultion tube on it(pilot or starter)? Thanks

Starter jet size is typically a #68, pilot jet is a #45

Pilot jet is long (about 1-1/4") the starter jet is short (about 3/8")

Pilot jet fits up in a recess and has the little holes on the sides.

I look in the clymer book and it states the starter jet (WR400) is a 65, I look on micro fish and the starter jet is listed between 78-82. Is the starter jet only used during start up or is it being used through out running, and which is the correct size?

Starter jet only is in use when the 'choke' (actually, it is an enricher) is on. Please notice my correction above.

I look in the clymer book and it states the starter jet (WR400) is a 65, I look on micro fish and the starter jet is listed between 78-82. Is the starter jet only used during start up or is it being used through out running, and which is the correct size?

What year WR400? Always go by the fiche. There will be the letters (STD) for the standard/stock size, alternate parts have a (AP). Clymer manuals should never be trusted for specifications. They are right about 50% of the time and wrong every time you do need an exact figure.

I just looked in the fiche , it shows both this:

SKU: 3TJ-1494F-20-00 JET (#82) UR STD

and this:

SKU: 3TJ-1494F-20-00 JET (#82) AP

A little double talking if you ask me. But, I suspect it issupposed to be a #82. Not a real biggie unless the only time the choke works is when it is friggin' frezzing. Bike hard to start with the choke otherwise? Only time you should not need the choke is with a hot engine.

The bike starts fine, never cold in Houston, just lately it runs like a turd as mentioned in the intake section. I was doing the "octopus" to eliminate vacume error and the things I read about the air jetting conserned me since my jets were so different. Info on air jets are welcomed.

However, I think I found why it ran so bad....bad oring on the mixture screw.

Sorry for the thread steal