HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
08YZ450Derek

Valve Adjustment Q's 08 YZ450

3 posts in this topic

The manual says the valve clearances must be within 0.10-0.15", but my valve tappet gauges and feeler gauges all measure in 0.010" and so forth. Is it a typo in the Yamaha manual or something?

Nope, it's metric. .10-.15mm for the intake and .20-.25 for the exhaust. In English units that's .004-.006" on the intakes and .008- .010" on the exhaust.

Better pay more attention to detail. That info is in the book.

I waited to check them, I was tired and I misunderstood the gauges. I had one set from a auto parts store and they didn't have only larger sizes. I went to the bike shop and bought the right gauges.001-1.00. Measured the valves in a few minutes, the Yamaha manual tells you how to do it.It took me about :lol: 1 hour to do it all. Not bad for a first timer! Thanks Greyracer for the answer though.