HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
durzer

Front sprocket nut

12 posts in this topic

Can't budge it!

Applied some heat of small torch, back brake on and wedged against the wall with an extended socket wrench and nothing budges.

It is a normal thread and not a left handed thread isn't it?

Gonna have to get a grinder on it otherwise :)

No, it's your run-of-the-mill right handed thread nut.

Got an impact driver?

Better still a rattle-gun (air impact driver).

They should loosen it.

Greg

Lots of leverage and some WD-40 should get it loose, or an impact wrench as said above, if that don't get it off then break out the grinder.

Austin

Rattle Gun (Impact gun) I have a Milwaukee electric one and it is by far one of the most used tools I have.... not on the bike much but just had to replace hubs on the truck this weekend and the job took half the time with it:thumbsup:

Anyway, a rattle gun will have that nut off in about 2.5 seconds:ride:

Rattle Gun (Impact gun) I have a Milwaukee electric one and it is by far one of the most used tools I have

I'm with you Don.

I reckon my rattle gun was the best $100 I ever spent.

Man, does it save some heartache!

Greg

Don't use WD-40. Glazes and creates a mess in the future. Use JB Blaster or Kroil and let it soak over night. Impact gun will take it right off. Should never need to grind it off. Anti-seize it back on and you should never have a problem in the future.

I just put the bike in gear get on the right side hold the rear brake down with a foot. Reach over the bike with a breaker bar and a 3 foot pole and she comes off real easy

you would be better off using a penetrating oil rather than wd-40. Wd-40 is not a penetrating oil the wd stands for water displacement. Soak it over night and get it nice and hot with a heat gun, not a torch, someone probably put red threadlock on it.

you would be better off using a penetrating oil rather than wd-40

I agree, wd is not bad but a real penetrating oil just works better.

Isn't there a locking tab on the washer behind the nut that is folder over onto the nut to keep it from moving. If this wasn't straightened the nut isn't going anywhere.

Just a thought...on my 636 I forgot out this tab and after bending it back, the electric impact got it off very quickly.