How do you change the oil?

I was wondering if you change it cold or let it warm up for a minute. I would say do it while it is cold cause looks to me like the oil would all be drained to the bottom.

If you start it up it looks to me like all the oil would get stired back up along with any metal shavings and take longer to drain and get clean.

What do most you guys and gals do? let it warm up or change it without letting it warm up.

Metal particles are heavier then the oil. So you drain it cold you have most of the particles sunk to the bottom and when you drain the oil they will be mostly left there. Now when you warm it up, it not only flows better, but all the particles are mixed up with the oil and floating around in it, so you can most of them out when draining.

That`s how I imagine it.

RTFM.

Page 3-15, bullet 1, "Start the engine and let it warm up for several minutes".

There are several reasons for this:

• Warmer oil drains more completely (sounds familiar, somehow)
  • Foreign materials suspended in the oil remain in the oil and drain with it, rather than settling out of suspension and staying in the engine (your logic is backwards on this point)
  • The YZ450 gets its feed oil from the tank (be it internal or in the frame), but the oil filler is in the crankcase. This means that for the first several seconds of run time when starting after an oil change, there is no feed oil, and the engine must run on whatever residual oil remains on the various moving parts until enough is pumped from the crankcase to the tank to start the feed pump, fill the oil filter well, and reestablish circulation. Running the engine ahead of time warms up the internals and pre-oils them so they can better deal with this.

Did you actually cuss, Gray???

Although I've gotta say my first reaction to the OP was, "fer gawds sake, how long have you had the bike?" ?

Well I have had it since 06 new! I wasnt really sure which way to change the oil since I had it so I drained it both ways. Sometimes I would change it as soon as I got through riding and other times a day or two later with out warming it up first.

I see now how it is important it is to let it warm up first so now I know which way is the best.

Thanks everyone!