Acerbis 6.6 gal gas tank, not for everyone.

If anyone is thinking about a larger gas tank, particularly a 6.6 gal one for a 2004-2006, e-bay has a good deal on one. I just bought one. It comes with a mounting kit including petcocks, for $179 including shipping. The only problem I've found is that it won't fit with my Flatland Racing radiator guards, but then if I need the guards with this tank, I've got bigger problems than just a bent radiator. It certainly is bigger but only by a couple of inches on each side. I don't do any racing, just trails, some singletrack, day rides, dual-sport rides, so size and weight is not a big concern to me.

Here are a few pictures.

468683276_5zD68-M.jpg

468683918_E8zJF-M.jpg

468683325_hvsi4-M.jpg

468684070_NsHYN-M.jpg

468683801_Rg3wM-M.jpg

Why would it spell disaster? The tank flexing and hitting the radiator?

Thanks..

The tank is pretty sturdy. I don't think there would be much of a problem in a normal crash, but if the crash was bad enough to bend or damage the radiator, I assume there would be other things bent or broken, including me.

That is one h*** of a huge tank. I'd imagine you could go pretty far without having to fill up. Have you had it filled up yet, I wonder how much heavier it will feel.

Austin

Gas weighs around 7 lbs / gal, so a full tank weighs 46.2 lbs. Thats 28 lb more than my full stock tank. The weight is going to be higher up, so it will feel a lot heavier, at least for a while.

Does that thing affect control due to extra weight at all? Do they make one in a blue?

I'm used to riding a KLR650 and a KTM990, so riding a WR450 is like riding a bicycle whether it has a 2.6 or 6.6 gal tank.

Acerbis does make a blue one, but it will probably be at list price which is around $340.

That's one huge monster of a tank. Like you said, not for everyone, certainly not me. I wonder how much the tank's plastic would bend before it breaks. How about the rad guards puncturing it in a crash?

Tanks will bend/flex a surprising amount. I speared my left radiator on a small log which ripped it off the frame and shoved it back into my IMS 3.1 gallon tank. The tank flexed so much that the fuel petcock was pushed back and over into the side of my cylinder head, leaving a gouge in the head and snapping off the on/off lever (which was facing inboard).

After the impact everything was right back in it's normal position and it seriously looked like nothing had even happened. I am still running that tank although there are stress marks where it flexed.

Tanks will bend/flex a surprising amount. I speared my left radiator on a small log which ripped it off the frame and shoved it back into my IMS 3.1 gallon tank. The tank flexed so much that the fuel petcock was pushed back and over into the side of my cylinder head, leaving a gouge in the head and snapping off the on/off lever (which was facing inboard).

After the impact everything was right back in it's normal position and it seriously looked like nothing had even happened. I am still running that tank although there are stress marks where it flexed.

Nice?

u wanna sell those radiator gards??

If anyone is thinking about a larger gas tank, particularly a 6.6 gal one for a 2004-2006, e-bay has a good deal on one. I just bought one. It comes with a mounting kit including petcocks, for $179 including shipping. The only problem I've found is that it won't fit with my Flatland Racing radiator guards, but then if I need the guards with this tank, I've got bigger problems than just a bent radiator. It certainly is bigger but only by a couple of inches on each side. I don't do any racing, just trails, some singletrack, day rides, dual-sport rides, so size and weight is not a big concern to me.

Here are a few pictures.

468683276_5zD68-M.jpg

468683918_E8zJF-M.jpg

468683325_hvsi4-M.jpg

468684070_NsHYN-M.jpg

468683801_Rg3wM-M.jpg

I had one of those big tanks on my old KTM. It threw a lot of weight up and forward. I had to re-learn how to corner. I never filled the thing up (after the first time), except one long ride down in Baja. Since I got a YZ I went with the IMS tank, 3.4g, but actually holds 3.72g....my a$$ can't ride long enough to use the whole 3.72g!

I got a 6.6 (but more like 6.25) on my 03'wr250f but I had to make my own outboard brackets. I too had some flatland racing rad guards but have to take them off when I got this tank on. I usually run with my stock 2.6 gallon tank though. the 6.6 is for big trips and I might use it to prerun the baja 1000. I went and bought all the tank bits necessary so I didn't have to take them off the stock and put them on the 6.6 each time I want to swap tanks.

yeah, I got range .....

500milerange.jpg

I searched on flea bay and couldn't find a listing...I'm looking to buy two of those bad boys (1 for my 426 and 1 for my son's 250) for an unsupported trip from Palmdala around the Grand Canyon this summer...can you provide a link to the auction or ebay storefront?

I got a 6.6 (but more like 6.25) on my 03'wr250f but I had to make my own outboard brackets. I too had some flatland racing rad guards but have to take them off when I got this tank on. I usually run with my stock 2.6 gallon tank though. the 6.6 is for big trips and I might use it to prerun the baja 1000. I went and bought all the tank bits necessary so I didn't have to take them off the stock and put them on the 6.6 each time I want to swap tanks.

yeah, I got range .....

500milerange.jpg

i dont know if its the angle of that picture but...it really doesnt look all that bad.

I searched on flea bay and couldn't find a listing...I'm looking to buy two of those bad boys (1 for my 426 and 1 for my son's 250) for an unsupported trip from Palmdala around the Grand Canyon this summer...can you provide a link to the auction or ebay storefront?

It's a storefront called Action Sports Gear Closeouts. Kind of hard to find.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300285585206&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:MOTORS:1123

• Like 1