Suggested spring rates for XR650r.

I've gained some weight and am wondering what the recommended spring rates are for my weight.

I'm 215-220 out of the shower plus boots, gear, day pack with tools, water etc, dual sport kit on bike with 4.7 gallon tank.

So I think I'm about 240 dress to ride with backpack etc.

My current spring rates are 10 shock and 45 for forks.

Any suggestions?

Yeah, the good old days. I was 195lbs when I got those springs.

Would it be a noticeable improvement to upgrade to the heavier springs?

it is a few stages springs difference...Did you notice much difference from stock to your current ones when you got them...(170-195 is 25lb difference) roughtly now...a little more than that...but if you noticed a difference then...you may notice a difference now?

I did a re-valve on my shock, easy to do. recommended.

I feel the bumps on the forks but not the shock now.

There is a link somewhere here to the guys page, sent him

some pic’s when I did mine to help others.

all the spring rate charts and valve stack charts are there

Spring rates are for the rider without riding gear. Spring rates are for a stock bike full of fuel. If you have a bigger fuel tank you add half of the added fuel in gallons X eight pounds. The fuel is only there for a short time......I think you get the idea. So, if you go to a tank that holds two extra gallons you would add 8 pounds (I round off to 10) to your spring weight. If you carry a tool bag on the front fender you add all the weight to the fork spring rate, on the back to the shock spring rate, Backpack is added to your weight for both. The spring rates are for desert riding, not racing. 10kg/mm shock spring and .45kg/mm fork springs are for a trail/desert rider that weighs 200~220 pounds. Racing that would be 180~200 pounds and would be a little light on the fork springs as you get more fuel tools, race light and closer to the 200 pound rider weight. The chart is a guide and the stiffer the springs the more of the hits are translated to the rider. If you are not bottoming the bike I would adjust the control of the rebound to make the bike handle the extra weight and call it good. You can adjust the compression to stop the bottoming to a point, (about 10 clicks out is my limit) after that you are just compromising and stiffer springs are needed to make the bike handle the weight as it should. Jumping and running MX My bike does fine with the compression cranked us to eight clicks out and rebound at 11 clicks out front and back but, this is only with the Baja or Desert valving off the http://borynack.com/XR650R/index.htm site. Stacks a little in the jagged long whoops section but, I am old and am just glad to stop the swapping and bucking completely.....I need all the help I can get!?

It is true that RaceTech and Lindemann Engineering push way to stiff springs for most guys over 30 that are not racing. Racetech has backed there computer program way back and closer to the charts that are on my web site. Lindermann pushes their .475KG/MM springs because that is what they make.....Makes sense if those are the springs you make money on, everyone need those. Baja desiegns, Barnum's Pro, XR's Only's, Percission Concepts all use the Chart that are on my site. Racing will change it of course but, in the end you want the least amount of hits translated back to your body. Stiffer springs more comes back to the rider.

So, I'm 215lbs+10lbs(larger gas tank)+10lbs(backpack,water)= 235-240.

So in theory I should consider springs for a 240lbs rider?

Yes, 10.5kg/mm shock spring, .47kg/mm fork springs and you would be setup for your weight.

I weigh 186 again, and I set my bike up with 10kg/mm shock and .45kg/mm fork springs. The fork springs are a little soft for the more extreme riding but, I sure do like the lighter springs on my wrist after a hard day. .47kg/mm are a little much for my bad wrist I have. When I weigh 196 the same setup clicks bottom a lot more on the forks and I found myself going up a couple of clicks stiffer on the forks to make up for it.....

• 3 weeks later...

I am just considering swapping my springs on my XR650R, I have never been fast enough for spring rates to seem to matter, with that said, I live in the Midwest and the riding we do is play-biking, we can get a little aggressive but just woods and trails mostly. Almost no jumps. And I am in the 50+ age group. I and my gear are 220#, 1) how should I read the spring charts? 2) are they mostly for desert work? 3) If I would benefit from stiffer springs, where do you get them and not spend an arm and a leg? 4) What am I doing with an XR650R, and why am I riding it in a manner other than what it was intended for? I don't know. Thanks a lot, Joe

The springs are to support your weight, the spring chart is for you not your gear for everyday riding. Not racing or jumping.

I am just considering swapping my springs on my XR650R, I have never been fast enough for spring rates to seem to matter, with that said, I live in the Midwest and the riding we do is play-biking, we can get a little aggressive but just woods and trails mostly. Almost no jumps. And I am in the 50+ age group. I and my gear are 220#, 1) how should I read the spring charts? 2) are they mostly for desert work? 3) If I would benefit from stiffer springs, where do you get them and not spend an arm and a leg? 4) What am I doing with an XR650R, and why am I riding it in a manner other than what it was intended for? I don't know. Thanks a lot, Joe