yz426 crank ?

Does anyone know if the 00, 01, and 02 426 cranks are interchangable? I have an 00 that needs a rebuild and was wondering what might fit? I know they changed from a key on the CB to a spline drive in 01 and 02, but can I put the spline design crank in my 00?

Yes you can, if you also replace the balancer drive gear with one for the later crank.

Cool. Thanks alot. I have heard instances of the key in 00 CB shearing and wanted to make sure it didn't happen to me.

In the schematic it calls out a "primary drive gear" (#1), and a "primary driven gear" (#4). Does anyone know the exact part I would need to update?

426_clutch.gif

It's neither of those. The gear you need is the primary balancer drive gear (item #8 on the crankshaft page), PN 5JG-11536-00-00. You'll also need lock plate PN 90215-14204-00. The actual primary drive gear is the same in all 3 years.

Like I said on the other site, don't worry about it. Since you'll have the motor apart anyway, get some hardened key stock and make a new key... no worries.

OK. I see now. Thanks a lot.

BTW. This is one of the best forums I've ever been on. I just bought a 2000 yz426 after riding pit bikes for about 5 years. My last big bike was an '01 CR250. A lot of the 4 stroke stuff is new to me and you guys have a ton of info. I'm on a lot of forums for a lot of differant things, but I've never seen one like this. Good Job!

Like I said on the other site, don't worry about it. Since you'll have the motor apart anyway, get some hardened key stock and make a new key... no worries.
Since he's getting a new crank anyway, why not update? I'd agree with you if the old crank was OK as is.

also when you order a crank get a 02 it has a better big end rod brg