Re-Jet for winter riding?

I have an 06 YZ450F and someone recently mentioned that I should rejet my carb for winter riding so I don't "blow it up". I am no expert on engines or carbs, so I am asking if anyone can deny or confirm or educate me on this.

Thanks in advance!

Generally speaking, colder air is denser, and requires richer jetting to maintain the same air/fuel ratio and performance you had in the warmer months. But, there is really very little risk of engine damage in a 4-stroke from running too lean unless the bike is running noticeably badly. Performance usually deteriorates to the point where you can't stand the way it runs long before it gets to the point of being dangerous to the engine.

my bikes must be jetted half way between summer/winter optimal specs, it runs pretty well all year long and at different elevations. Never had to do seasonal jetting changes on either one of my bikes.

Thanks for the response gentlemen. I'll keep an eye on performance and I have a much better idea of what to do and why.

Thanks!

-MistaPoodlePants

I have an 06 YZ450F and someone recently mentioned that I should rejet my carb for winter riding so I don't "blow it up". I am no expert on engines or carbs, so I am asking if anyone can deny or confirm or educate me on this.

Thanks in advance!

Go richer