trail tech stator

hi i just got a trail tech stator and reg/rect so that i can run a HID light, conected it all up every thing seams fine only one problem. the bikes side light and break light only work when the ignition is on and wont work when the bike is running.

any one had the same problem. or no of a way around this like running the break light from the battery?

What is your year and model bike?

trailhead

wr450f 2006

hi i just got a trail tech stator and reg/rect so that i can run a HID light, conected it all up every thing seams fine only one problem. the bikes side light and break light only work when the ignition is on and wont work when the bike is running.

any one had the same problem. or no of a way around this like running the break light from the battery?

I'll take a look at the schematic if I can find one. One more question though.

What do you mean by "side light"? Is it an English thing?

Generally, I suspect that there is a problem with the installation on either the stator or the reg/rect.

If you can scan the schematic from your manual, pm me with it and hopefully I can figure it out from there. I've installed a couple of these and know that the instructions are not perfectly clear so there is a chance you misunderstood something. No offense intended.

trailhead

I installed a TrailTech Stator on my 2008 WR450F just before christmas and noticed my headlight was really dim. I called TrailTech and they told me the headlight was trying to run off what little AC powetr was left(ignition requires AC) and that was my problem.

It was recommended I hook the headlight up straight to the battery with a switch. I ended up getting the handlebar switch from them with HI/LO Beams and integrated kill switch and have had no problems. I am NOT loloking forward to the first tim e I leave the light on etc.

There was oof course no mention of any of this in the instructions.

C.D.

Did you run one of there hid lights as the one I have will cut out when I rev the bike hi when not moving. Thinking I might need one of there ones tht prob draws less power.

I'll take a look at the schematic if I can find one. One more question though.

What do you mean by "side light"? Is it an English thing?

Generally, I suspect that there is a problem with the installation on either the stator or the reg/rect.

If you can scan the schematic from your manual, pm me with it and hopefully I can figure it out from there. I've installed a couple of these and know that the instructions are not perfectly clear so there is a chance you misunderstood something. No offense intended.

trailhead

its ok i sorted this problem but would you no why the hid light cuts out at hi RPM????

I have a baja designs HID and havent had a problem...although I did have to float the ground.

its ok i sorted this problem but would you no why the hid light cuts out at hi RPM????

jimbarbwe, is your light running directly off the battery with a switch? If not, it needs to be. The original stator was running power to the ignition, ac to the headlight, and a trickle of dc to the battery. The Trailtech stator is running power to the ignition and the balance is dc to the battery. If you are running off the battery then really there is no reason why it would be cutting out unless there is a loose connection or something shorting out somewhere. I had a similar problem with HID on an XR650 and it turned out to be loose wires within the switch to the headlight. Good luck!

yea the HID is running both + and - from the battery. with an inline switch. its a confuesing one.

Wish I could help you. If the battery is in good shape, it doesn't make any sense that at higher rpm the light would cut out as the stator and regulator feed to the battery and then the light feeds directly from the battery. I'm really thinking that there is bad connection somewhere between battery and light. Maybe try to connect directly w/o the switch just to make sure your problem is not in your switch and try and raise the rpms again. You should be able to comfortably run virtually any 35 watt HID light with a rewound or Trailtech stator, so I doubt your light is drawing too much power. With HID when you start running low on battery power the light will begin to flicker (or strobe is more like it). That's the ballast trying to relight the bulb over and over again without enough power to drive it. If you raise the rpms to the point where the light cuts out and then lower the rpms to where it comes on again, then I would definitely give Trailtech a call and talk to one of their techs because that would be a pretty weird situation if all wiring is correct and tight.