YZ450f

Hey guys I just traded away my husky for an 03 yz450. Im excited and sad at the same time. This things pretty sweet but its also pretty beat up. It has the hurricane kit on it and the graphics are pretty dead torn worn tattered etc. What graphic kit would look good on the yellow plactics and all? Also the header is dented I was wondering if any one had any suggestions on a replacement header. Im going to try to score a full system cheap but I blew two really good sales arleady just have to hope to stumble onto some more. Also I found a set of hot cams for 270 shipped was wondering if its worth it on this bike?

I ordered a aluminum throttle tube, oil filters, air filter, grips, chain and sprockets all sorts of little stuff and a jd jetting kit. I want to get this thing ready for the coming season and just want to hear some opinions.

BTW its nice to be on a yami again its my fourth yami in my 6 years of riding/racing.

I think Ill try that thanks alot, i thought of that but I actually forgot. Were the mufflers on the 03's titanium from the factory Im wondering if I have the gytr exhaust or now. Mine says titanium on the end of the muffler. Which for the record might just be the ugliest muffler ever made haha. Can these mufflers be repacked I haven't really looked at it?

Could you describe the freezing process a little more clearly I read that thread but am still a little confused on how much water to put in it and where to get the water to sit and how etc. Just fill it with as much as possible without plugging it and try it over and over?

Thanks a ton.

After searching around the graphics problem really seems to be an issue too from what I can tell one industries discontinued the kit. So what do I do. It has the yellow plastics on it. I dont necassarily need or want the graphics it has now just want some fresh ones that would work with the yellow body panels. Any tips?

Were the mufflers on the 03's titanium from the factory Im wondering if I have the gytr exhaust or now. Mine says titanium on the end of the muffler. Which for the record might just be the ugliest muffler ever made haha. Can these mufflers be repacked I haven't really looked at it?
Yes, the mid pipe, core, and end frames are Ti. The can is aluminum, and they can be repacked. You can get a custom fit kit from the TT Store. You can also improve the looks while adding a removable spark arrestor by using the end cap kit from DRD or Pro Moto Billet.
Could you describe the freezing process a little more clearly? Just fill it with as much as possible without plugging it and try it over and over?

Simple as that. Stand it up looking like a "U" and fill it as full as you can, and freeze it in that position. Don't force thaw it beyond what you can do by putting it in a bucket of warm (not hot) water. You'll need to repeat the process several times, but the dent will eventually be gone.

• 3 weeks later...
After searching around the graphics problem really seems to be an issue too from what I can tell one industries discontinued the kit. So what do I do. It has the yellow plastics on it. I dont necassarily need or want the graphics it has now just want some fresh ones that would work with the yellow body panels. Any tips?

Hey matt, im not sure if they will have any but a while ago in like august i called one industries and they said they would sell me the shroud and tank graphics to me for 60 but never got around to buying it. i would check ebay also. if not i would get the blue shrouds, rear fender and number plates and get some graphics on ebay. did you ever get the jetting worked out?

I think Im just going to get blue shrouds and make a husky out of the yz. Im not looking to spend a whole bunch of money on full plastics and then graphics or special graphics for the yellow. Im going to look into graphics that could look decent for the blue shrouds and yellow fenders. I don't know but if looks terrible ill buy the rest of the plastics later but for like 50 bucks I can experiment first. I bought a jetting kit and have yet to install it but im positive the bike will clear up once installed. I have the exhaust lined up but money is tighter than usual due to multiple "incidents" and an exhaust is going to have to wait a few weeks.

Before:lame:

080.jpg

After:thumbsup:

004.jpg

Don't know if you're a woods guy but the first thing(s) I did was plastics/graphics, flywheel and then went with 13/52 gearing. After that, switched out wheel, swingarm, and linkage bearings, all of which (except for the rear wheel) were totally shot. Some valve adjustments, Zip ty mod, some jd jetting, and a little bling (chain, wave rotors). Hope you enjoy the bike...

Well guys I had my first ride out on a track with this thing and its just ridiculous. It can clear any jump right out of a corner in 4th gear with very little throttle. Its like not fair. After owning an '03 ktm 250sx (reported as the quickest ever hardest hitting etc) and a modded 05 yz250 two stroke I figured this yz450 would be about as quick but I had no clue it'd be this much more. I had no problems with wheel spin as it seems many complain about I did however have alot of issues with the front end never touching the ground. ? Coming out of corners on the gas going through the accel bumps it was very rough any suggestions on tuning? Suggested sag and maybe some clicker help would be great.

Thanks alot guys and I definitly am very impressed with anyone who rides a 450 these things are absolute brutes.

Well I just picked up a jardine rt-4 full system on ebay for 281 shipped brand new. I feel that the way the power is now it has too much low end and doesnt rev out as well as I am used to (Coming from 250f's, 125's and 250s where they only make power up top) the jardine is reported to really make the top end wake up and take a bit away from the low end. Im excited and it'll replace the terrible looking stock exhaust on this bike.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I installed the jd jetting kit with ac pump mod, aluminum throttle tube, new air filter, cleaned the heck out of the bike and put on the jardine full system. Have yet to ride it but it starts and runs really crisp now. It used to run pretty poorly but not it barks really nice. I didnt give it more than 1/8th throttle but the way it started and idled and responded you know it is running strong now. Im very excited to ride it. I still have more parts left to install too so its only going to get fresher.