HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
idamoh

Adding Fork Oil

7 posts in this topic

I have an 08 WR450 and have been taking it to the track alot lately. I just had new springs put in front and back and fork oil changed. I am bottoming out on the front end alot on relatively small jumps. I have dialed my compression up without much luck. I want to add fork oil in 5cc increments. What is the best way to do this? I'd like to make these adjustments at the track, adding a little oil at a time till I get it right.

I have an 08 WR450 and have been taking it to the track alot lately. I just had new springs put in front and back and fork oil changed. I am bottoming out on the front end alot on relatively small jumps. I have dialed my compression up without much luck. I want to add fork oil in 5cc increments. What is the best way to do this? I'd like to make these adjustments at the track, adding a little oil at a time till I get it right.

Easily done, just use a syringe.They're already marked in cc increments. Available from the local pharmacy. Of course, you won't be able to buy needles without a prescription, but you don't need those anyway. Why did you replace the springs? Did you go to a stiffer set? Revalve?

I am 6'6" and weigh 265 with my gear on, so I had to go alot stiffer with the springs. Everything else is stock, I just went stiffer on the springs. That's probably another reason I am bottoming out the stock springs is because of my weight. Can I just screw off the fork cap and add the oil?

Can I just screw off the fork cap and add the oil?

The '07 and '08 have a bit of a reputation for having uneven/low levels of fork oil in each leg. At least that has been the case in Australia.

It might be safer to measure the oil level in each leg properly, ie. with the springs removed and the forks bottomed completely.

If you can get the bike so that the fork legs are vertical it would be a lot better, or remove the forks from the bike and do it the right way as per the Owners Manual.

Greg

Oil wt will have VERY minimal effect on the way the forks behave because of how the valving works.

If I were you, here's what I would do:

Disassemble your forks, clean them and refill them to the stock level using the fork oil of your choice. (2 hours work)

Now add more oil using a measuring cup until you added 5 mm (I would go up in 5 mm increments because anything less than that will not be very noticeable to you). If you start with a full cup (250ml) of oil you will be able to figure out how much oil was needed to add 5 mm of oil to the fork by subtracting whats left in the cup from 250.

Now install the forks back in the bike and ride it for a while - see how it feels.

Now you may want to add more oil to each fork at the track, and at this point you can just unscrew the caps and add the amount of mls it took to increase the level 5 mm. This is also a more controlled way of doing it since you will be able to know when you are nearing the recommended maximum fork oil level.

I still say if you arent comfortable with disassembling the forks, just use the syringe method with a piece of flexible tubing of the right size to fit the syringe tip, you can add the oil through the air bleeder hole. The tubing is available at your local hardware store. That is by far the simplest/quickest method. :)