wr426

looking at a wr426...how do these bike rate and is there any year better than another...its old (2000) but looks to be in good shape....is there a big difference in the 426-450...and are they relieable...coming off an xr400 so that was never an issue

The WR 426 was only made in 01' & 02'. If it is really a 2000 model than it is a WR 400 or it could be the YZ model which was a 426 a year earlier than the WR. Whatever year it is they are proven to be very reliable. Mine is an 02' model and I have not done anything to the motor other than oil/filter changes and occasionally checking the valves. Look it over closely and if the price is right go for it. I have riden several XR400 and think they are great bikes bike I promise you that you will enjoy they upgraded suspension and snappier performance of the WR 400/426.

They are very reliable considering the more modern engine design( comparred to the XR) I think that 2000 was still a 400 but cant say for sure. I know a 2000 YZ was a 426. 03 was first year for 450 with auto decompression, e- start, & aluminum sub frame. 03 had some e-start problems but most have been fixed by now. All great bikes though and easy to do power upgrades.

They are very reliable considering the more modern engine design( comparred to the XR) I think that 2000 was still a 400 but cant say for sure. I know a 2000 YZ was a 426. 03 was first year for 450 with auto decompression, e- start, & aluminum sub frame. 03 had some e-start problems but most have been fixed by now. All great bikes though and easy to do power upgrades.

correct...2001 1st year for the Wr426.....they are super reliable and will outlive 3 CRF450's. the early Wr's are a bit overengineered which makes them a little heavy but they are reliable and powerful.

tons of parts on ebay if you need any and you most likely wont.

My dad has an 02 WR426 and that bike is awesome! He bought an 06 YZ450 but couldnt bring himself to sell the WR so he still has it and uses it as his backup bike. It has good power and good suspension, but is a little heavy and the weight is up kinda high, but when you get use to it you dont notice the extra weight until you ride a YZ. We have never had a problem with the bike and have never had to adjust the valves and we do not ride easy. We are hard on our equipment, but we keep up on all of the regular maintinence and have never had a problem.

-mt-

I have a 01 WR426 that I bought new. I've reworked the suspension for my weight, rejetted it, done all the free MODs and dual sported it. It's been a great bike that usually starts on the 1st kick. Changed the oil and filter religiously. I've checked the valves but it's never needed shimming. It's been a great bike.