Need common shim sizes for 01 YZ426f please!

I will be helping a friend of mine shim his valves, but I don't have a shim kit for the larger 9.48mm shims. I hate buying the entire Hot Cams shim kit that includes shims that I will never use like I did for my Honda, so I want to just buy the replacement packs. For the Honda CRF250X, I find that the 1.50 to 1.70 sizes are all that is needed.

Can anybody tell me what the common sizes for a 2001 YZ426f are so I can just buy one or two replacement shim packages? These are the sizes/packages I have to choose from, and NO, I don't want to sand down the existing shims thank you:

Thanks in advance:thumbsup:

HC-9120145

Includes 5 of each size -

1.20, 1.25, 1.30, 1.35, 1.40, 1.45 mm Shims

HC-9150175

1.50, 1.55, 1.60, 1.65, 1.70, 1.75 mm Shims

HC-9180205

1.80, 1.85, 1.90, 1.95, 2.00, 2.05 mm Shims

HC-9210235

2.10, 2.15, 2.20, 2.25, 2.30, 2.35 mm Shims

HC-9240265

2.40, 2.45, 2.50, 2.55, 2.60, 2.65 mm Shims

HC-9270295

2.70, 2.75, 2.80, 2.85, 2.90, 2.95 mm Shims

HC-9300325

3.00, 3.05, 3.10, 3.15, 3.20, 3.25 mm Shims

HC-925350

3.30, 3.35, 3.40, 3.45, 3.50 mm Shims

I just pulled my head apart the other day, the shims I think were all in the 1.77-1.83mm range. I would measure the clearance first and figure out which shims you actually need before you buy them. Even if you buy the "most common" shims you might really need a different size, you know?

I just pulled my head apart the other day, the shims I think were all in the 1.77-1.83mm range. I would measure the clearance first and figure out which shims you actually need before you buy them. Even if you buy the "most common" shims you might really need a different size, you know?
Of course, but most of the time it is within a certain range, but it looks like 2 kits would be required based on what you found.

By the way, was the 1.77 to 1.83mm range stock, or after adjustments?

Thanks, anybody else?

Why buy more than you need?... Figure out which ones you need and then visit your local Honda dealer and buy them individually. The shims are the same as the CRF450 and they always have them. ?
Too much hassle. I like having them right there so I don't have to stop what I am doing and drive 25 minutes each way to the dealer. It is way more convenient for me, especially when putting on a new head where you don't know what sizes to use until you put some in. To each his own.

So, anybody else care to share what shims they are using?

Too much hassle. I like having them right there so I don't have to stop what I am doing and drive 25 minutes each way to the dealer. It is way more convenient for me, especially when putting on a new head where you don't know what sizes to use until you put some in. To each his own.

So, anybody else care to share what shims they are using?

If your looking for convenience, then you would've bought the complete shim kit. Anyways, you'll probably find the popular shims in part number HC-9180205

If your looking for convenience, then you would've bought the complete shim kit. Anyways, you'll probably find the popular shims in part number HC-9180205

The dealers around here want $10 a shim. So I will gladly pay $35 for a partial shim kit and it is not even for my bike. Thanks for the 205 recommendation. I may also have to by the 175 kit, depending on what others post up.

My advice to begin with would be to find out if the valves even need to be adjusted at all.

Since the build shims generally run in the 180-188 range, you'd need one of the HC-9150175 and one of the HC-9180205 to cover the possibilities.

That is just what I was thinking. He decided to wait to do his valves, so I guess the point is moot. Thanks all.

Of course, but most of the time it is within a certain range, but it looks like 2 kits would be required based on what you found.

By the way, was the 1.77 to 1.83mm range stock, or after adjustments?

Thanks, anybody else?

I have never adjusted my valves.....it's a yamaha:smirk: No but really, that is all from the factory. I was kind of generous on the range as I forgot exactly what the numbers were but I think it was closer to this range: 1.79-1.82mm

I don't have the original shim sizes in front of me (I left my notebook at a friends) but my build log after having the valve seats cut show thicknesses from 155 to 175 in all of the valves. Also, check your local dealer/shop for an exchange program. Do the math to figure out what you need and go trade. I didn't pay a penny for my new shims and I replaced all 5.

What Grey said - the 150175 and 180205 kits should cover you just fine, however, I like to check first then buy - well, actually trade, we have a shop that'll do a straight up trade of the ones you need - free of charge as long as your shims are still showing the number and aren't ground down (you would not believe what some people do).

• 8 years later...