WR tranny in a YZ?

Has anyone done the conversion?

I was also wondering if the newer 450 tranny would swap into the 2005 motor.

I have a new to me 2005 YZ450 and will be running it on road courses 7 or 8 times this year.

Thanks!

Did you try looking in Common Threads? The one that says, "Look here first"?

Yes, you can swap in a 5 speed from an '03-'06 WR, and yes, it's been done.

No, you can't use the '06 and later YZ trans; it's 12mm wider.

Details in Common Threads.

At least one member used a YZ400/426 5 speed, but that required machine work and a lot of cut and fit work. It worked, but it was a PITA.

Grayracer, you've got me curious about your background. Are you a Yamaha mechanic, or just one of those guys who retains and understands everything? I am amazed with the amount of knowledge you have about Yamahas. I have yet to see a question that you didn't have an answer for, down to the millimeter.

Did you try looking in Common Threads? The one that says, "Look here first"?

Yes, you can swap in a 5 speed from an '03-'06 WR, and yes, it's been done.

No, you can't use the '06 and later YZ trans; it's 12mm wider.

Details in Common Threads.

At least one member used a YZ400/426 5 speed, but that required machine work and a lot of cut and fit work. It worked, but it was a PITA.

Grayracer,

Thank you for the assistance. One more question. Can this be done by a mortal or would it require a mechanical back round?

Semper Fi!

Again, Thanks.

If you are swapping an '03-'06 WR trans into your '05 YZ, it's a simple bolt-in operation. If you have good basic assembly skills, it should not be terribly challenging for anyone who has previously worked with a motorcycle crankcase/trans before. The most challenging element will be that you'll be assembling something that you didn't take apart. That and the YZ transmission was apparently designed to be assembled by an octopus anyway, and requires a certain level of dexterity to get everything in place. But yes, a "mortal" can certainly do this.