inconsistent

my 450 doesn't run smooth when holding a steady throttle. it seems to "surge" if that makes any sense. anyone know what's going on? :)

on my 03 450 mine would almost seem like it was miss firing at constant throttle, I read about it and the consensus is that you should unplug your tps... I tried it and it cleared most of my problem up.

Im sure there is a proper fix for it but this seems to work for me:ride:

my 450 doesn't run smooth when holding a steady throttle. it seems to "surge" if that makes any sense. anyone know what's going on? :)

When is the last time you cleaned the carb?

How far open is the throttle during the surging?

My 08 does the exact same thing as you describe. When I have my throttle open about 1/8 and a little below, it has a surging feel. My jetting is spot on and the bike runs great, starts on the first kick, and has no bog. I figure it's a race bike and not meant to run at 1/8 throttle. Anything higher than that and it runs like a bat out of hell. I just got used to it. I'm sure gray will have a fix if there is one though. He knows all and is a god in this forum IMO. I think he must've worked for Yamaha in a previous life.

I'm sure gray will have a fix if there is one though. He knows all and is a god in this forum IMO. I think he must've worked for Yamaha in a previous life.

Are you kidding?.... I taught Gray everything he knows.... :lol: :lol: :lol::)

On the '08, use an NFPP needle. It has a smaller diameter straight section, and will richen the mix slightly at 1/8-1/4 throttle, which should help your symptoms and improve off-idle throttle response.

If the '07 is surging at 1/8-1/4 throttle, try either an NFLQ or NFLP needle (1 and two steps richer respectively)

YEAH, I think its a symptom of a lean condition. I had my bike jetted perfectly in the summer, now when I take it out around freezing i get a surge.

Cold weather = dense air. Go richer to compensate, or put up with it until it warms back up.

i don't notice it when on the track. I notice it if i'm drying it off down the street or cruising down a fire road. it's most noticeable at 1/4 throttle openings I would say

i wouldn't say the weather has been freezing (30's), but maybe in the 50-60's. The bike just received a new top end and the carb WAS cleaned out. valves in spec also.

Exactly, but mine does it at 1/8 throttle. Misery loves company!